Psi exciter twins question

Throttle Junkie35

I picked up an nos set of psi twins for an exciter. I have two other sets but this set did not come with the flanges and the pipes dont have provisons for the two rings like my other sets. Whats the deal with this? Was there different flanges for some of these pipes??

They maybe early or late set. Or they didn't get all the way done. PSI had shipped me pipes that were 2/3 done before. No loops for springs, flange... and they still had the doors open back then, 96 or 97

post pics

Yeah, I was kind of thinking they were maybe an early set. I guess I'll have to fab up some flanges.
I believe PSI was still in wisconsin until 2005ish?? Hard to believe Bruce lasted that long there. My bro live near there and it was the only place in the area to have boring done. He had a customer pick up a cylinder he sent there for boring and you could tell the cylinder wasnt square when it was bored. You could see all of the old hone marks on one side. The customer insisted he put the sled back together as is..needless to say it didnt run very long. My brother told the guy "I told you so" and the guy went back to psi to get his money back or fix his cylinder.He found the place was cleaned out. Locked up tight. Not even a sorry..We've moved sign in the window.

There Were Two Versions. First Set Was For The Exciter 87-89. Spun At 7500 And Psi Recommended Crank Balancer And Of Corse Jetting Changes. Second Version Was For The Exciter 2. 1990/93. These Spun At 7750/8000. These Pipes Do Look Slightly Different. I Have A Set On My 1993 Exciter Sx That I Bought Here Everything Was There. Flanges, Springs, Tabs. And Bruce Now Is In utah. 3:16 (yammie Tony)

Last edited:
YAMMIEGOD3:16 said:
There Were Two Versions. First Set Was For The Exciter 87-89. Spun At 7500 And Psi Recommended Crank Balancer And Of Corse Jetting Changes. Second Version Was For The Exciter 2. 1990/93. These Spun At 7750/8000. These Pipes Do Look Slightly Different. I Have A Set On My 1993 Exciter Sx That I Bought Here Everything Was There. Flanges, Springs, Tabs. And Bruce Now Is In Idaho. 3:16 (yammie Tony)
Thanks Yammigod. I heard there was two versions. Looks like I have both. So the earlier pipes only spun 7500?? For some reason I thought they were a higher reving pipe. 8700 rings a bell. Dont quote me on this. I could be recalling something all together different.
I heard Bruce was in Utah last. Word on the street is he left alot of people high and dry around here when he went out of state. Probably more than one reason he's hiding in the mountains. LOL.

8700 SEEMS REAL HIGH FOR ANY EXCITER. YA I DOUBLE CHECKED SOME OLD PSI,S CATALOGS I HAD,TWO VERSIONS, EXCITER WAS 7500 (87-89 ), EXCITER 2 WAS 7750/8000 (90 - 93). 3:16 (yammie tony)

Thanks again Yammigod. Would you happen to know the difference in claimed horsepower between the two sets?

Ya, I think I read that on a tech sheet somewhere.
I saw a cut sheet for psi twin set up a while back and I believe if you have a standard exciter with porting from psi, you were able to get 105hp..if memory serves me correctly. I have a sled that I tore apart a few years ago that had psi ported cylinders and twin pipes. After I rebuilt another sled stock, I was actually disappointed with th psi set up. The sled has been apart since 2006 This year i was going to use the top end on another sled because I burned down and figure a quick fix would be to use what I had laying around. Turns out there was a reason why that motor was a pooch. For the heck of it I checked the ring end gap. It was .045!! I never checked the compression before I tore it apart. I imagine it was pretty dang low.
So anyway I was trying to remember why I had 8700 rpm in my head. I checked my RPC notes and noticed the orginal RPC single ran at 7800-8000RPM. I can be a bit dyslexic at times. LOL.
I had a SX with psi twins, Comet 108 and arctic cat secondary. That thing was a hoot. Kept up with my buddy's 98srx700 until 75 or 80 then he was gone.

Ya, you cant beat the torque of a single in the twisties, but the open fields and lakes scream for the twins.
The bender is a nice pipe. My buddy picked up an Sx a couple of years ago and it had a stainless Bender single. I thought it was ceramic coated at first. I have never seen another one like it. Too bad he sold that sled. I think he has a video of it on you tube. The sled was sweet. Besides the pipe it had juice brakes, fox shox in the skid, and a Vmax secondary,. We never pulled the motor out but I could tell the crank was lightend because it had no inertia. In other words you felt every stroke and if it didnt start, the motor would stop as soon as the rope was at the end.
The sled came with era correct pink plastic skis that were beat to hell so he replaced them with a pair of brand new magenta USI skis. Looked cool as hell.

I HAVE UPDATE SECONDARY ON MY SX. NOW YOU CAN USE PRE- 1997 CAMS. I CLUTCHED UP MY SX WITH A PRETTY HOT SET-UP. 8BU-10, PSI TWINS COLD AIR KIT, ENGAGEMENT AROUND 4500, BALL TO RIDE. 3;16 (yammie tony)

Yea.....I don't know about the PSI twins on the Exciter. I had a modded out 91 that had about everything that could be done to the motor, clutches, bored carbs, pod filters etc, etc, etc. It was supposedly dynoed ad 120HP.
Sure didn't feel like it though. Very soft and smooth. Thing didn't pull very hard at all, but it had LONG legs. I don't know what it had for gearing, but when it(rarely) ran decent, it ran, and kept going, and going, and going. I hit 121 or 124 on the dream meter. That was at 9400 RPM. As soon as I saw 8500, I kept a close eye on it remembering that my stock Exciters were done at 7800-8000. I figured 9400 was enough, so I let go of the flipper.
Preferred my clutched otherwise stock 88 over the 91.

UNLESS ONE OF BENDERS RACE EXCITERS, 120 BE A LONG STRETCH. THE EXCITER SX IS AS GOOD AS IT GETS AND THAT SLED WAS DYNOED AT 102 with psi twins. BUT THAN AGAIN, WHO KNOWS. 3:16 (yammie tony)

Back