'79 Enticer ET250 choke cable no tension

averagesleder

I'm in the process of reassembling my Enticer, its been a long time since I had it apart. I can't remember how the choke cable is installed. I know it goes into the fitting that threads into the carb. However the cable just slips out of the fitting, I'm not sure if I'm missing a part or if there is a trick to installing it. I vaguely remember a spring that went into the carb under the fitting.

Any info would be great. The carb is a Keihin.

Thanks

Be sure you adjust the choke to spec before putting it back in. This will keep you from having future headaches.

The spring is there so the plunger returns to the closed position when you turn off the choke. Without this spring, it would be possible for it to apply choke all the time, making the sled run rough.

These are the parts I have. Two springs, the fitting and cable. Am I still missing something, perhaps a washer? The choke cable will easily fit though the fitting, its seems like the cable needs a washer to pull up against the bottom of the small spring.
Thanks

Choke cable

You seem to be missing the plunger. A brass plug with a rubber seal in it.

Look on the Yamaha site under the parts catalog.

Yep, lost the plunger, common mistake. Its probably in the pan someplace. I dare say it would be a little difficult to set it up without that.

Ding said:
You seem to be missing the plunger. A brass plug with a rubber seal in it.

Look on the Yamaha site under the parts catalog.

Looking down the hole in the carb, where the choke cable goes into, I can see a small round piece of brass, would this be it? or is that a part that stays in the carb. I'm thinking I have to remove the carb to see if the piece will fall out when tipped upside down.

that sounds like the plunger, only its most likely stuck in there. by design, unless your cable broke at the point of attachment to the plunger, the plunger and cable cannot separate once installed to the carb.

if the plunger is stuck, they can be a pain to remove. be careful and patient here as you dont want to damage to carb body. the plunger becomes the sacrificial part.

snowdad4 said:
that sounds like the plunger, only its most likely stuck in there. by design, unless your cable broke at the point of attachment to the plunger, the plunger and cable cannot separate once installed to the carb.

if the plunger is stuck, they can be a pain to remove. be careful and patient here as you dont want to damage to carb body. the plunger becomes the sacrificial part.

Whats the "best" way to go about getting the plunger out, since the brass is super soft.. I have penetrating oil soaking in now.

Soak it in Sea Foam or Kroil or Deep Creep. Then find a small flat headed screwdriver that just fits in the top of the plunger where the cable goes. Carefully work it back and forth (spinning) until it frees up. You can also use air pressure in the orifice in the venturi, but you have to be creative to get the air gun to seal around the hole.

Ding said:
Soak it in Sea Foam or Kroil or Deep Creep. Then find a small flat headed screwdriver that just fits in the top of the plunger where the cable goes. Carefully work it back and forth (spinning) until it frees up. You can also use air pressure in the orifice in the venturi, but you have to be creative to get the air gun to seal around the hole.

Could I use a punch to drive it out? I'm assuming that will destroy the plunger, and not the carb itself.

So it turns out its not the plunger that was stuck in the carb. I actually lost the plunger. I had a local shop rebuild the carb, however they cann't locate a new choke plunger they said the dealer says they are not available anymore? Does anyone know of a different supplier or do I start looking for a used one?

Matt

you will be most likely looking for a used one. by chance perhaps en ebay item for a new one, or give a look at some of the vintage sled sites.

you could always shake up your sled and tilt it side to side to see if it rolls out from under the engine.

I might have one somewhere, but it may take a while to find it. I don't have that old stuff organized very well. Let me know if you still need it.

Back