do these specs look right? im stumped! HELP!

your on the right track now. if those connectors were corroded, what will the other ones look like? i would check any connector possibly associated with the warmers.

clean all of them up and use some di-electric grease prior to re-connecting.

bar risers? they can put your hands in the cold zone. what about the windshield? you may even consider hand guards.

there are several. start looking for black wires. all the main ground points will terminate with a bolt and round wire terminal type fitting. not uncommon for any of them to corrode or rust.

there will be some attached to the steering hoop, one or two off the engine to the chassis, perhaps a dedicated chassis ground, and i recall one tied in with the coil pack.

another break through, sled lost all power to hand warmers. this was after running a few days in above zero weather, it the proceeded to get colder and then stopped working. pulled the load control relay off and put it over the wood stove in the ice hut and it fixed it, might be a coincident but it worked.

here's a break through in the case, I think. I pulled the connectors off the cdi and found that a few of them were nice and green and some with this black stuff on them. after cleaning them it seems that the hand warmer circuit is holding a more constant voltage. still not where it should be but better! I doubt this was the cause, maybe its time to give up and just wear thicker gloves.

The black stuff is fretting corrosion usually found on low current circuits. It's difficult to clean the female terminal without spredding the contacts unless you have a very thin file that's as thin as the male/blade terminal. Often times you'll create a suspect connection when spredding the contacts (either with too large a file when trying to clean or with the meter probe when diagnosing).

One of the first questions I ask is "did anyone try to diagnose this". If yes, I do a pin fit of the female terminals with a proper sized male/blade terminal to ensure good clamping of the female terminal. Replacing the corroded terminal is the best fix and can eliminate future tail chasing/headaches.

Since you found a change in output when cleaning the corroded connection, I suspect your problem still lies with this connection and I'd replace the terminals before proceeding further.

Back