Gearing

01Vmax89

Hey guys since gonna be gettin a new track for the 01 Vmax 500 and studding it so I'm gonna have to drop down to the 8 tooth driver. with the 9 now it's got 39t,22t so it comes out to be 1.77. If I drop to the 8 straight down it'll give me a 2.00 would this make it really sluggish on the bottom end? If so should I bump up to a 23t to give me a 1.92. Going to be settin the clutches up like vmaxjohn's. Still want to have decent bottom end but looking for a little more mid to top. since once she hits 60-65 she takes a while to climb 90 ish

going to 8 tooth from 9 won't make you sluggish on bottom, you'll loose top big time... even if you go 23T on top with 39T bottom and 8 tooth, it's still like a 1.91 ratio with 9 tooth drivers (theoretically)... That's a far spread from the 1.77 you were running.... great for corner to corner but an 8% diff in gearing for top...

may need to change bottom and top and maybe chain for same performance...

does your sled have reverse?

tj

Tj Ya It does have reverse.
SO theoretically I'd have to drop to a 37 and 24 which would give me a 1.74 which they don't make. so having a 39 and 22 is the best I can do isn't it? I guess I wouldn't mind losing the top end around my area but when I go to colebrook and around that area it's nice to have. dropping down to the 2.00 and running vmax johns clucth setup would this make it snappy with a soft belt it's not very snappy right now.

I might have to do this when I get a new track and have been looking into gearing. While I don't have reverse my choices are higher.

I read somewhere the sleds are usually over geared from the factory. Basically in the most perfect condition you might be able to pull the 1.77 ratio to the max speed. Dropping down to a 1.92 will get you much faster acceleration and should allow the clutches to work better. I think this was in Snow Tech sometime this past year. Also there is a nice chart in the middle of Maxx Perf's catalog all about gear ratios and drivers. From there it appears the biggest gears you can get are the ones you mention.

Hauck has about any gear and chain you need,also team ind. has gears and chains.you can make up about any combination of gearing you like.Right now I am running 25/40 Hyvo gears and chain in my 02 srx.98 SRX had a 37 tooth bottom gear,find that and buy a 24 upper gear and the matching chain for those gears and your all set.I just noticed you have reverse,not sure what options you have with that.-Harvey

Last edited:
Finnally

Hey Guys ya figured out not gonna have to change to 8 tooths. Wasn't positive since maxx pref's gearing said 1" lug and up for 8 tooths. Turk just gave lotta help. Thanks again Turk, Jon

Harvey,
What length chain are you using with the 25/40 gears?
Is there a formula or something to figure out chain length?
Rich

I am sure one of the more knowledgeable guys know a formula but I have a new 70 link on the 25/40 combo,it fits perfectly,you could allmost run with out the tensioner.I also had the stock gears(23/38) with a 68 link chain,this was a nice fit also with very little adjustment needed to tighten chain.-Harvey

Back