Chaincase explosion

SRX700Andrew

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what caused my chain to break resulting in my chaincase smashing to pieces? I replaced the track on my SRX at the beginning of the season and noticed that one of my links were broken on my chain. I replaced it with an EPI chain. I've put about 750 miles on it without any indication of a problem. This weekend I went to the UP to do some riding. Yesterday morning we were leaving Newberry to start a long day of riding. I pulled on to the trail and hammered it which resulted in the chain breaking and taking out the chaincase. When I got home and took it apart I noticed several broken links on the chain other then where it came apart. I don't know if these links had broken prior to the chain breaking or as a result of it breaking. Ever since replacing the chain 750 miles ago there has been no noise from the case like you hear when the chain is jumping teeth on the sprocket. Are EPI chains inferior to the stock chain? Everything else seems to be in order so I'm at a lost as to what could have caused this chain to fail so suddenly.

When was the last time you checked you chain tension? A loose chain tensioner and a hard landing can take out a chain real quick.
Sorry about your luck.
Tom

Did you have the right chain that match your gears? Using the wrong chain to match your gears will do that also.

I wondered about the chain tension too. Since it was a new chain it probably stretched some and I had not retightened it. However I never once noticed a problem. I've had chains go before and you could hear them jumping the teeth on the gear.

are you sure when you had the chaincase apart you put all the spacers back in the right order on the right sides of the gears? Bad alignment could blow the chain quick.

Back