02 viper bogging

mkalbarc

OK, I have an 02 Viper with 500 miles on it. It's done a lot of sitting but I finally pulled her out of storage and have been tinkering with it for the last few days. I have set my idle to around 1500-1600 rpm. I notice (when it's warmed up) that if I give it full throttle under 2000 rpm it will bog... and stall if I hold it down. Now if I'm above 2k rpm and go WOT it will raise in rpm normally. Any ideas? Thanks

if its sat a while try cleaning the carbs,I clean mine at the start of every season just to be safe.-Harvey

Mine did something similar a few weeks ago, and I ran some sea foam in the fuel through it, and now put 300 Miles on it and has not done it again since. I plan to go through the carbs anyway, but for now, it runs top notch. I am not sure if it was just bad gas that was in it, or if the sea foam actually helped.

I'm very new at this and don't know much about carbs and whatnot. Any links with direstions on how to clean carbs and any other useful links? Thanks again all!

Sounds as if your pilots are dirty in your carbs. Try holding the choke on slightly and see if the motor picks up differently. If it does, your carbs need cleaned. Gas from last year can really mess with your carbs. Normally gas is only good for up to 6 months. If you don't know how to clean the carbs, get someone to help you. Doing it by yourself is just opening another can or worms, and that could be expensive.

check air screw setting.set mine at factory setting1 7/8,had bad lean bog,almost stall at times.set at 2 1/8,no more bog.buddy set his at 2 1/3,helped his bog.may not be the same if your altitude is different.experiment.

Last edited:

Back