Avgas

Hammer Down

I was going to drain the auto gas and store it with 100LL. One of my buddies said don't do it. I have stock vmax4 with pipes.
My reasoning behind this is to store it with a non ethanol fuel. I just cleaned the carbs and want to keep them from gumming up or having the ethanol eat away at my new o-rings
It runs fine on 93 super auto gas.

Last edited:

i have had around a 99% success rate doing exactly what your doing. done it for years over several sleds.

drain what you can out of the tank and add at least 2 gallons if not 2.5g of 100LL. fire up the sled and let it run long enough to get the AV into and through the carbs. you wil be able to smell the aroma via the exhaust. dont overheat the sled.

when your ready to break it out for the season, fill the tank with your gas station premium, run the sled a bit to allow the new fuel to flow through and your good to go.

snowdad4 said:
i have had around a 99% success rate doing exactly what your doing. done it for years over several sleds.

drain what you can out of the tank and add at least 2 gallons if not 2.5g of 100LL. fire up the sled and let it run long enough to get the AV into and through the carbs. you wil be able to smell the aroma via the exhaust. dont overheat the sled.

when your ready to break it out for the season, fill the tank with your gas station premium, run the sled a bit to allow the new fuel to flow through and your good to go.
;)! ;)! same here although i still check my carbs.

100LL =100octane Low Lead
Thanks for the replies, I have had some tell me it's ok to run it in sleds and others say no way. I am looking more for storing it with something that won't gum up my carbs.

Hammer Down said:
100LL =100octane Low Lead
Thanks for the replies, I have had some tell me it's ok to run it in sleds and others say no way. I am looking more for storing it with something that won't gum up my carbs.

I don't think it'll hurt but IMO seems a waste of money if you pull the carbs before the season anyhow which most here would recommend.

Run it dry using a pre-mix of 2 stroke oil or ATF, pull and clean the carbs pre-season and save some coin.

I have 100LL here for my car anyways and I only put a little into the sled before I fog it. I did this the last 2 seasons and the carbs were spotless in the fall. For me it's worth it because I already need it and even though I still check my carbs in the fall they are spotless.

VP fuel is now selling 93 octane (no ethanol) fuel for small engines with a proposed shelf life of 12 months or better.... anyone try this stuff? Curious...

Avgas is only 5$ gallon. I already cleaned the carbs but was setting track tension and new belt and clutches so I put fuel in it. Plus I have two more v4 racks to clean. Please explain your method of using premix or ATF. Thanks

I buy a fresh can of VP Blue in FEburary or March for the upcoming season... I STILL have about THIRTY GALLONS left if anyone needs any.. CHICAGO area by Midway Airport...

Back