Summer (Fall Project): Longtracking mountain max

Thanks, It was good to get her out yesterday. I couldn't wait any more, and heading back to work Wednesday I finally wanted to at least get a few laps around the yard. I had the tank dry and had run the sled off a quart can of briggs ethanol free 92 with an extension in the fuel line. I put 5 gallons in her, rode it around the yard then into the truck for a trip to the gas station. I really like my new Rev-Arc ramp. I was a snow bank guy before, and probably rode 1/4 of what I wanted to because I couldn't get in and out of the truck. I have to say I am dying to get it in some deep snow. All I had was a couple inches of crap with a frozen crust on top, and the sled will lay right over on its side on flat ground when I hop on it wrong foot forward. PUMPED for the steep and deep this year. I was up in Vermont over the weekend and we had 18" of powder on the ground to play in on Sunday. I carved it up on my mother in laws 340 Indy deluxe but way dying to have the MM with me. :letitsnowTruck 1.jpgYard 1.jpgYard 2.jpg

Mid Winter Update

Well, the snow has sucked here in new england this first half of winter. Even when we did have snow, it rained when I had time to actually GO ride. So what do you do when you can't ride: BUY STUFF....and watch schooled so hopefully you don't embarrass yourself in front of your friends when you actually get out.

I lowered my bars another 1". I don't feel like I'm at that point of being hunched over and have another 3/4" to go if I want to. I picked up a tunnel bag to go under my seat, it's not huge but gives me way more space back than what I lost in the trunk of the stock seat. I picked up a works rear skid shock from fleabay that came off a parted out viper. It weighs 2lbs less than the steel body shock and is dual rate. I can run less preload in the stiff full rate setting to maintain my ride height and have a cushy initial ride. I also have a set of viper front and skid front shocks on the way so there won't be any more steel body shocks on the sled (-5lbs total). I also did some brain picking and changed the gearing and clutching. I now have 20/39 gears on a 68L chain and at Tom Hartman's recommendation swapped to a w-w-w primary and a silver secondary spring set to 60 degree wrap on a stock 43 degree helix (the woes of my clutching and chaincase can be found in other posts)
Lower Bars.jpgTunnel Bag.jpgShock Scale.jpgClutch Kit.jpg

Since a mod sled is never done, its really never done. Over the winter I've picked up a works rear skid shock and viper mtn front shocks. The viper shocks were a pain, it was the 3rd pair I bought off ebay that were finally the right ones. People are very misleading about there listing, they list all the trailing arm sleds as compatible and can't seem to measure eye to eye correct when I'd ask. I installed some WRP Mountain tuff running board inserts. They aren't open for all the windows, some are and the rest left the snow dump right onto the coolers. The snow melts so much faster. It's great when you get back to the truck, kick off the loose stuff and let it idle for 5 minutes to melt the rest and its all clean with no snow to freeze. The install was a little tricky, I drilled out the running board cooler rivets and slid a 6" joint knife in there to keep the blade of the vibrating plunge cutter from hitting the coolers when I went through the board. There was a little trimming to make the WRP inserts fit because they are for the old pogo phazers. I've since ditched the powder hounds for some powder pros. I've found that they were just too soft and would flex way too much and being a flat un-rockered ski they had trouble climbing up on the snow. When doing powder turns the front of the ski would flex back and hit the bumper and the sled would just plow, not enough lift. Great ski if your going to trail ride and jump off into the deep stuff once and a while, but not cutting it for full days out in the mountains.

I'm still playing with skid setup to get it balanced with the longer track and having ditched the transfer bars and uncoupled it. I had a little mishap the first ride out this year, sheared 2 consecutive paddles off the new track. Pretty bummed about that but I patched up what was left with E6000 and its holding great so far. That stuff is tough! The wax paper I used to make the forms and hold the stuff in place while it cured is still stuck to it after a few rides. Clutching is a little high about 8900 WOT so I think this summer I will add a little more weight to the weight tips and try to get it down a little, although I'm only using about half the primary right now by my sharpee mark. I haven't had a change to hold it pinned down a stretch of trail, this is just what I'm seeing in the deep snow.

fitting in.jpgleft side done.jpgmuch better.jpgnew grippers.jpgplunge cutter.jpgright side done.jpgright side foot.jpgviper mtn shocks.jpgviper shocks.jpgholding up.jpg

Last edited:
Ive seen some use the ones for a polaris edge chassis which might give you a bit more coverage. Thinking about doing something with my boards next winter. Your MM is lookin good der bud!

Thanks!
I could have messed around with measuring lengths and widths but firgured the angle on the Phazer was close enough that it would work with these running boards. Anything would have been a cut to fit I believe. Very happy with them so far, traction is so much better than I ever was expecting.

Nice looking sled and great mods. Just wondering if you ever hit the powder with that machine? How does the 151 work in the deep?

Nice looking sled and great mods. Just wondering if you ever hit the powder with that machine? How does the 151 work in the deep?

Thanks for asking. It is a great New England tree slaying machine. It holds its own in deep snow but would probably suffer in deep western snow. I will give you all another update as its progressed to mod max v 3.0 at this point.

My first winter with it stretched which was after this build was very disappointing. I struggled with bad clutching advice and was over revving because of an over sprung secondary. I also found that the MPI transfer straps suck and were a real hindrance to deep snow performance while trying to go uphill. The spring after my first winter with it as a 151 I found a short ez-ryde skid so it got modified again. That's where it is now and I'll give you the full rundown as it is now.

It's running an ez-ryde race skid that came from a zbros race team sled, running exit shocks. Not sure who's it was but I believe I'm the 3rd owner it came from Oregon and was in a cat. The weight savings was on the order of 25lbs and the skid does not retain snow which makes a huge difference. Gearing is 20/39 with reverse and I finally went with heel clicker clutching. That really set the machine on fire. It's running 5.3g in the shoulders on a red spring and it's amazing how it pulls now. Secondary is a 43 straight helix on a green spring at 70. I was disappointed in the cold weather performance of the lithium battery so out came the electric start and I rebuild the pull starter with spectra rope for durability. I found one of the few remaining slp adjustable engine push mounts and put that in. I swapped out the risers for 5" non adjustables. They are the rsi wrap around clamp ones for strength. I felt I had reached the limits of the sly dog powder hounds so they got swapped for a set of powder pros. In tight trees I felt the flat keel ski was hurting maneuverability. I found a set of viper mtn shocks that were like new but I've yet to rebuild or play with valving but I can say they do ride better than the stock steel bodied's did. I am much happier with the rockered powder pros. The sled gets up on the snow better and I feel all around ski performance has been much improved. Last winter was a winter of tinkering as I got the bugs worked out on version 3.0 and I feel like I got it nailed. I was very excited for this winter as I had moved north into a snow region and can ride from the house and have accessable hydro lines from the house as well a trailer able areas about an hour away or so, then it didn't snow. I never even put gas in it this year. I'm going to give it a once over when putting my trail sleds away so nothing surprises me next year but as for now she will patiently sit and wait for the snow to return. I could possibly see triple pipes in the future but I do ride at sea level and riding mostly trees I don't find myself holding it pinned saying I wish I had more power. For now I'm happy with it the way it is and don't want to deal with the hassle of the jetting inconsistencies and poor fuel mileage.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Back