Oil usage SX-R 700

SWEDE

My sled is an '01 that I bought used from a local dealer.Supposed to be bone stock.How much oil should it use?I am using about 1 quart for every 100 miles that seems like alot to me.What do ya think,some guy recently told me that jetting down the carbs from stock along with verifying the correct oil pump setting could lessen the oil usage considerably.Its odd though in the fact that it does'nt smoke excessively or foul plugs.I have'nt taken gas mileage,but it seems ok.I guess I'm looking for some opinions on this,am I all wet on this or is that excessive oil usage?Also where should the belt ride in the secondary clutch,mine is about even with the top of sheaves now.Its slightly doggy on the bottom end now.Could my deflection be off?Thanks in advance for any help you all could give me.

If it is not fouling plugs I wouldn't mess with rejetting it. Oil is much cheaper than a seized engine...Check your oil cable free length where it seperates by the carbs, it is covered by a rubber sleeve on the cable mid way down the cable. I believe the free length is suppose to be 23 mm, don't quote me on that...The belt should ride even or just slightly above the top of the secondary and the track should almost creep slightly when on a track stand at idle to give best holeshot. If it's boggy off idle you may want to try reed spacers or the reed spacer notch you can do yourself for free in the tech section back on the main website.

I just went 257 km this Saturday, temp -32 C. and I used 1 litre of oil.
When I first got my machine (1998 vmax deluxe)it used about the same amount of oil.
I adjusted the oil pump cable and kept records of usage. I have since put on 8000 km in some pretty cold weather and have never had a problem. I am using super castrol oil.

My 01 sxr600 has always used about 1 liter per tank which is about 100 miles give or take and I have 14000km on the sled.

Thanks for the insights guys,Ijust was'nt sure especially coming off a mx-z 500.That thing sipped gas and oil,about 15-16 mpg and over 200 miles per quart on injection oil.That sled always amazed me at how economical it was to operate,but I have to admit that I like the pull of the 700 triple.

If you convert 257 km = 160 miles to 1 litre. I would ask Mr. Sled or another experienced yamaha tuner but I think you could adjust your oil pump cable to get better oil consumption. (check with the Yamaha Guru's)

IF you are using a GOOD SYNTHETIC oil, you could probably decrease the oil consumption a little by shortening the gap on the threads, which will lengthen the gap on the cable, but I wouldn't go much less than that on the consumption if I were you. Personally, i would leave it alone, oil is a lot cheaper than crank bearings, and that consumption is still WAY better than most.

Last edited:

Back