Reverse gears vs stock gears

wanasrx

On a 01'srx and/or viper. Are the gears in a reverse kit different than the original stock gears or can they be swapped vice-versa.

The viper reverse kit uses the stock HYVO gearing, ...the SRX has never had a reverse kit, ...in addition, the SRX 98'-99' uses 15W gearing and the 00'-02' uses HYVO. If you look at the tech section there is a suppliment for a custom SRX reverse install using a Viper kit.

OK , I guess In should be more specific. Being the 00-02 srx and viper have the same HVYO gears. I was going to put a viper reverse on the srx. There seems to be different viper kits, like the mountain viper etc. From what I can gather the differences are in the gearing that's in the kit. One mountain kit comes with a 18/40. My question I guess is , can I put my stock gears in this kit or are the gears special to the kit some how. I've checked gear part #s and the difference is the first three letters/#'s. ???
SRX EH, Thanks for your reply.

Last edited:
Your HYVO upper gear and chain should be fine, ...the kit lower gear is tailored for the reverse gearing (kit specific).

SRX reverse questions

1.When installing the reverse kit do you only replace the chaincase cover and not the housing so I wouldn't have to make a new drop and roll chaincase?

2. I am currently running 19 42 gear ratio could I get that ratio in hyvo gears with the reverse option if not what's the lowest I could go?

3. how much weight does reverse add and is there anyway to make it lighter say by using a cable to actuate it like Polaris does

1. Replace only the chaincase cover (kit), ...you may have to shave off the tabs depending on clearance from your "drop and roll" and your silencer.

2. The MViper kit I purchased came with a 39T gear, ...you should be able to get pretty close to your ratio by dropping the top 1T.

3. I'm guessing the MViper kit added around 5lbs., ...you could rig up a cable, ... but most of the weight is in the gears, ...I wouln't give up the durability and ergonomics for 1lb.

Is there any reason you couldn't use a mountin max reverse kit from the same year in my case 98? I am running a bender can so there is lots of room down there.

I believe the MM uses 13W gearing, ...the SRX uses either 15W or HYVO, ...I probably wouldn't mix a lighter gear (kit) with an SRX.

Went to the dealer yesterday and they had a kit there but it had a 38 tooth bottom gear. The guy there didn't know if I could get a 40 tooth bottom gear for the reverse or not. With the hyvo gears I would like to run 18 40 with reverse is it possible will the 40 tooth fit or do they even make a 40 tooth bottom for reverse.

Back