Need some info on 2008 nytro

Junior123

Hey, I am new to the site and was just wondering if anyone has any info on and 08 nytro. My buddies seem to think that this sled has to much weight and not enough power to get around in the mountains. So I guess what my question is, will it perform well in deep snow in the mountains without putting a turbo in it.

Is it a Nytro Mtn?... I've rode with a few of them in the mtns without turbos, they get around fine. Just depends on how much horsepower you really want and how high you want to climb.

Oh yea, it would definitely be fine then. If you don't know much about the Nytro's make sure the front subframe is straight. You can check that by looking at the side of the sled when the handlebars are straight and making sure 1 ski isn't further forward than the other. And by making sure the front shocks are about centered in the top A-arm. Then I recommend if it hasn't been done already to install a gusset kit from grizztracks in the front subframe. Lots of info on that over on the 4 stroke side. But I'd also be happy to answer any questions you may have.

They did some minor updates to the subframes almost every single year they made them. I have an 11 that I purchased from a salvage auction this summer, guess what... bent subframe. While they did reinforce them some, especially after the 08 subframe, they to me are still weak. Any Nytro that I ever own or anybody I know, I definitely recommend installing a gusset kit either from grizztracks or from Ulmer Racing. The 08 subframe needs the big gusset on the bottom of the frame that the newer subframes got as OEM parts. Lots of info on this topic on the 4 stroke side. Grizztracks, and even me after doing research, suggest adding the kit to ANY nytro subframe even a brand new one. And then the big piece to the 08 frames as well.

Here is grizztracks (4 stroke user) photo album with many pictures of his gusset kit (made from 4130 chrome moly I believe).

http://s589.photobucket.com/user/gr...6&page=1&_suid=138481527253806237317314133861

This piece is similar, that can be added to the 08 subframe, to the one that is standard on newer subframes. I can't remember which year they added it. But even on my 11 the stock piece has a slight buckle to it in the corners.
08gusset.jpg

Last edited:
Just the Nytros. The Apex and Phazer have different frame designs. Some people have had issues with the Apex bulhead breaking where the front of the lower A-arm bolt goes through. But there is also fixes and preventions for that.

I did actually break mine on my 08 but I had it welded and tied the 2 lower front A-arm mounts together and have had no problems since. My uncle also has my old 07 Apex and hasn't had any issues. To me both the Nytro and Apex problems are just minor issues and I'm personally not afraid of either sled.

That makes it sound like the Yamaha's have problems. But I can name issues with all the other makes of mtn sleds as well.

Thank you , you have been of much help, you have just helped me make up my mind on the nytro. Just wondering if it's true but I heard that they have faulty bogie wheels

Also how much fuel can I be expecting to burn when up in the mountains in the deep snow and how much should I bring up with me? Forgive this simple question as I am just a newbie to the sledding world

Back