Drive axle bearing replacement

live 2 sled

Trying to change the drive axle bearing (clutch side) on a 02 viper. I can not get the bearing off of the drive shaft and the drive shaft will not come out of the machine with the bearing on it. I have removed the two set screws on the baering collar. I have removed the slide rail suspension and the chain case assembly.Do I need a puller to get this bearing off the shaft? Please help.

I had this same problem on my 02 SRX when I installed my new track,I took a small file and gently beveled the outside edge of the shaft,It seemed to be burred up from the factory,I then worked it back and forth and it came off.A small puller would also do the job.-Harvey

ya,mine was the same way,like the shaft was swelled up on the end,push it back and clean the shaft real good with a scotch brite or some thing simular,do the file trick and it should come right off.If you have a little puller it doesnt take much pressure to pop it off.Its just hard to get enough pressure on it to just pull it off by hand.-Harvey

Bearing

If you can't get it with the above methods just grind off the rivets holding the bearing holder in place and pull the whole works out. Once the axle's out then you can easily get the bearing off. Simply replace the rivets before reinstallation and you're back in business.

Last night, I was able to get the bearing removed. I used a pitman arm puller that a mechanic friend lent me. It only took about five minutes to remove the bearing with the puller. It worked excellent and it just fits in between the belly pan and the tunnel. When I installed the new bearing it was very tight while going over the end of the shaft, but fit better once it reached its final position, and yes I did remove the speedo gear.

This sled has 9000 miles on it and the original drive axle bearing was toast. Better to change it in a warm shop than have to walk home in the cold.
:beer:

Back