6k miles, whats worn??

03viperguy

Fiance (hope I spelled that right!) is riding a 00 sxr 600. it just turned 6k miles. runs great and all, but dad seems to think it feels more "labored" compared to moms 03 vmax 600. obvious things are going to wear, but I noticed in particular a buzzy sound to it when running down the trails. is this what happens when the reeds get worn? is this an easy replacement, and is it cheap? also wondering if the clutch spring may be getting worn, as I have heard people say that it will start to just get fatigued. sled is all stock, even the clutching. only thing ever changed was the shocks were rebuilt and revalved, so I know they arent worn. thanks for any tips or advice :)
:rockon:

definately want to go through the clutches, checking for wear on all parts, replace both primary and secondary springs, and giving them a very good cleaning with soap and water, dry with compressed air. Open up chaincase and inspect chain/gears/bearings. Clean out chaincase good and put in new fluid. Go over both front and rear suspensions, checking all bushings, bearings and joints for excessive wear, and looking for cracked/fatigued parts. Once suspensions are inspected and worn parts are replaced, grease suspensions good. Not sure about the noise you are describing, maybe brake noise? My guess would be that you wouldn't be able to hear the reeds at all to know if they are wearing out. Best bet would be to pull them out and check them for cracks and breakage.

Last edited:
PROBABLY time to start checking the bushings in the clutchs and like you said the clutch springs. at least that's where i would start.

well i have a sx 700 with over 6k and i went through the clutches for the first time,(should've been sooner) and found a broken primary spring. the reeds i also looked over because i did the reed stopper notch but they all look good.not sure about the buzzy sound you speak of. but im sure there are guys on here who can give you more imput. the gears and chain maybe the buzzy sound? it would hurt to pull the cover and check them out anyways. just my opinion

make shure you check the bearing behind the spedo housing. water sits there and pushed the grease out. only 1500km on my sxr and there was water in the spedo cover when i changed the track thos fall.

I have a 01 with 14000km on it complete check over this year and found 3 bad bearings ,check the speedo bearing it is usually the culpert the 2 small idler wheels on the top of the suspension also, replace all if you have the skid out they are cheap, also chain tension.

Check all the bogey wheel bearings. And the bushings for all the suspensoin wheels. Also check the hyfax (sliders). Carbides?

Back