Need Help! New Track = Overrev???

YamiSmurf

We just installed a Ripsaw track onto a 99 sx600 with 5000 miles and it overrevs to about 9100-9300 rpms. The sled's engine and clutching are completely stock. I can only assume it's in the clutching but have no idea where to begin. Thanks for your help.

YamiSmurf

Over rev like that is normal on a 600 tripple after its broke in. And here is the standard fix. 8AB weights with 0.8 or 2.4 gram rivit in the tip (you will need to try both) with a 51/43 helix and a green secondary spring wound 3-3. Your sled will be alot happier, and it should run right at 8500rpm

Just to clarify, it's 8AB weights with 2.4 grams in the center hole, and possibly .8 in the tip if you need it. 51\43 helix and green spring

Thanks for your replies. I truely appreciate your help. Have either one of you replaced tracks to ripsaws and found this formula successful. On a tight budget and want to be 100% sure prior to ordering the parts.

Thanks again.

YamiSmurf

Mine has the stock track on it. It's a 2000 SX600r. I have the 8ab's in mine with 2.4 in the center hole, tip empty. 51\43 helix with a green sec. spring wound to 80. I never tried the wind at 60 like stated above. This definately cured my over-rev problem. Mine would do about 9000-9200 with the stock clutching.. Now 8400 and thats it, even if the track is spinning, which is most of the time because I don't weight that much. Wasn't that thing over-revving before you installed the track? I can't believe a taller track would do that, but I'm not an expert. I only know what I did to my sled. I would PM Turk, or Mr. Sled. Both have helped me alot.

It ran 8400-8500 rpm's with the stock track. Only when the new track was installed did it begin to over-rev.

Thanks for you help
YS

If you did not change any gearing or the driver sizes then the only other thing to say is the stock track sure was a power sap. If you spin faster now with no changes then the ripsaw requires less force to turn and is less of a power robber.

How's it drive otherwise?

I put a camo 9892 on my SX700R and I am over-reving as well.
Cant seem to find why. I put 4.5gr in the inner hole as Turk recomended and still over reving. I know I have some other problem but cant find it.
Let me know what the outcome of yours.
Thanks.

Nothing else was changed on the sled.

And for the little riding done with the new track, it seems to gain traction more quickly than other none studded tracks especially in deeper snow.

I pm'd a few people and found that the added traction/weight/air resistance was causing the over rev. I've ordered the above suggestions plus additional rivets to fine tune.

I'll let everyone know how it works out.

YS

Back