here we go again,first Fatality of the Season,and a few sleds thru the ice

Our main River here is awesome to ride.There is well over 100 snaky miles of it to ride also.Been riding this River since my first sled in 1978 and never really had issues with going thru ice,maybe some slush once in a blue moon..but from the River we could climb up the River banks and hit the bush were the snow is thick and like riding on a cloud of untouched snow..and a lot of places to climb..lots of endless fun.The River system runs right thru into North Dakota

I went through the WI. regulation handbook and they don't mention rivers..they do however say you're required to stay on the marked trail so there you go...gray area.

Also stated that Wisconsin is the birthplace of snowmobiling (1924).

http://www.snowmobile.com/gallery/g...l?g2_GALLERYSID=TMP_SESSION_ID_DI_NOISSES_PMT

I wouldn't consider that a grey area at all. That's part just pertains to riding the trail system. Lakes and rivers are public, so the staying on marked trails part really has nothing to do with that.

well as I stated earlier they don't let the ATV's even cross much less travel rivers.

Yes, that I would expect. It messes with the river's environment. Sleds, like a canoe stay on top. Now, drop that sled to the bottom of the river, and then you can expect a fine, if a warden sees it.

Nuthin wrong with river runnin. Most fun I've ever had on a sled. No laws against it here in WI for sleds, quads, bikes, etc.

If you don't know or are unsure of the ice,,, stay off (any ice). Mother nature will make one pay for ignorance/bad judgment.

The last opinion I would trust on ice condition is that of a fisherman. I've seen multitudes of them out on ice that a duck won't go near.

opsled

Nuthin wrong with river runnin. Most fun I've ever had on a sled. No laws against it here in WI for sleds, quads, bikes, etc.

If you don't know or are unsure of the ice,,, stay off (any ice). Mother nature will make one pay for ignorance/bad judgment.

The last opinion I would trust on ice condition is that of a fisherman. I've seen multitudes of them out on ice that a duck won't go near.

opsled

Can you run the Fox into IL.?

Yup, if it's been cold enough long enough.

I'm in Burlington. From just south of town north to Waterford is pretty much unridable no matter what. Water is too shallow and too fast. From about a mile south of town down to the Chain of Lakes is a riot if it gets cold enough. Once to the Chain things open up to about 450 square miles of river/lake rippin heaven. MANY!!!!!! big hot rods lurking there. Tons of bars and good places to eat.

From the dam in Waterford north to Waukesha (Vernon Marsh) is about 35 miles of greatest fun I've ever had in the winter. Not real wide, long straights, big sweepers, rights, lefts, hairpins that take you back almost 170* and when you get near the top the turns come so fast (right to left) that it is real hard to keep up with them. I've had sweat rolling down my back at -15* after a run up and back.

The winters have not been good as of late but when they are I'm there.

opsled

yup..this is on trac to be your year..throw Tishigan into the mix and you on ice all season..upscale sledding...lol.

Back