97 vmax 600 twin clutch trouble

bigdawg822

Hello to all new to the site and snowmobiles here, I've had a couple but never really rode very much until this year and haven't had to repair any until now which brings me to my question, I've got a couple sleds one of them being a 97 sx600 and the clutch is messing up on it, when we ride it somehow is getting stuck all the way in and locking up . I have to get something and pop the little fingers or weights is what I think I've found them to be in order to get it to release its like it's over extending itself and getting hung up? Anyone know why? I'm thinking it's the spring but not sure. I've looked around and can't really find any info on them. I'm not familiar with them at all never worked on one, I've rebuilt just about every 4 wheeler there is and a lot of cars/trucks but never sleds. Can anyone tell me what is up with this thing and where to get parts? I found springs but not sure what one it is or if that's the problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated it's my son's sled and we can't rife anymore until I get it fixed. Thanks ahead of time for your help and time.

Had same thing happen to our group last year. Rollers are shot causing the weight to hang up. Time for a rebuild. I replaced all three rollers and one weight was wore bad also. Cleaned and good to go.

Had same thing happen to our group last year. Rollers are shot causing the weight to hang up. Time for a rebuild. I replaced all three rollers and one weight was wore bad also. Cleaned and good to go.

Ok thanks for the response do you know where I can get the parts at or what parts they are? I'll look around here for more info on them also I've got no clue what is involved in doing that jib but gotta figure it out can't afford to pay stealer to do it.

If you've rebuilt a bunch of ATVs, cars, and trucks, you can easily work on a snowmobile clutch, don't feel overwhelmed.
You can get parts at any Yamaha dealer, many will ship to you, or you can find locally. I believe you have Coloma Motorsports near you?
Most dealers also have online parts fiche for you to review, here's an example of a 1997 Vmax 600 XT primary clutch:
http://www.yamahapartsnation.com/oemparts/a/yam/5003baa7f8700212fc83f83e/primary-sheave
The rollers are #19 and the "little fingers" or weights are #22. May also need #5 and/or #11, but it's not that common to replace those.
If your model is not an XT, you can search the fiche for yours and open the primary clutch page for it to verify the proper parts for that model.
Also you will need to verify exactly which parts on your sled are worn and need replacing. The rollers should spin freely and without wobble or roughness. They may have a small amount of side to side shift, but not much. If one or more of your weights are worn, I would consider replacing all 3 at the same time unless you know for sure that the other(s) are perfect in their shape and with a good bushing.

If you've rebuilt a bunch of ATVs, cars, and trucks, you can easily work on a snowmobile clutch, don't feel overwhelmed.
You can get parts at any Yamaha dealer, many will ship to you, or you can find locally. I believe you have Coloma Motorsports near you?
Most dealers also have online parts fiche for you to review, here's an example of a 1997 Vmax 600 XT primary clutch:
http://www.yamahapartsnation.com/oemparts/a/yam/5003baa7f8700212fc83f83e/primary-sheave
The rollers are #19 and the "little fingers" or weights are #22. May also need #5 and/or #11, but it's not that common to replace those.
If your model is not an XT, you can search the fiche for yours and open the primary clutch page for it to verify the proper parts for that model.
Also you will need to verify exactly which parts on your sled are worn and need replacing. The rollers should spin freely and without wobble or roughness. They may have a small amount of side to side shift, but not much. If one or more of your weights are worn, I would consider replacing all 3 at the same time unless you know for sure that the other(s) are perfect in their shape and with a good bushing.

Hello ya we have a local yamy dealer there not very helpful at all but I'll get it soon as I have time to get in garage and tear it down really appreciate all the good info here. Been looking for the clutch puller actually thinking of making one at work but anyway thanks and I'll report back when I get her tore down thanks again

Too bad the local dealer isn't very helpful, maybe they don't like, or understand, the older sleds, but parts is parts and service is service it could be a happy customer and business for them!
I reread your initial post and see you are working on a 97 sx600, so here is the primary clutch fiche page in case you haven't searched it yet:
http://www.yamahapartsnation.com/oemparts/a/yam/5003bafff8700212fc83f9d1/primary-sheave-for-vx600
If you have weights and rollers wearing out, you also likely have bushings (#4 & #15) worn as well, especially with moderate to high miles of use.
#15 you can likely replace yourself if you have good experience replacing press in oil seals or bearings, etc.
#4 is another story, special tools (spider removal tool, otherwise called a clutch grunt tool) are needed to separate #8 from #1, so unless you have the experience here it may be best to take that part to the dealer or someone you know has the experience. You can disassemble the clutch as far as you want/need of course to save money and replace the easy stuff on your own. If you do replace bushing #4, also take a close look at Sliders #9, may be a good time to replace those at the same time.
May also want to replace the spring as they can lose tension over time and they are not too expensive. You could also do it at a later time since all you have to do is pull the cover off to swap springs, just beware that the cover is under tension from the spring until you get all 6 cover bolts removed and can slowly lift cover releasing the spring tension. You can do this in a shop press or with an extra set of hands to keep the cover in place while removing the bolts.
Also check for little hairline cracks at the base of the aluminum sheaves, where the belt rides at idle.

This website has a tech area that may have some helpful info for you now or in the future: http://www.totallyamaha.com/Totallyamaha/mainTechIndex.html
If you don't have service manuals or owners manuals, they would be a great help with maintaining and getting to know you sleds. Hardcopy stuff is available online from Yamaha, ebay or other online, or post a wanted ad here and maybe someone has what you need available. You could also join here as a VIP member and have access to electronic service manuals by asking one of the mods, there is a thread here somewhere detailing how to join, and request.

Parts are also available from site sponsors such as Port Yamaha and likely others, so there are plenty of online options for parts if your dealer continues to not be helpful or just too expensive.

I would guard against buying a cheap and/or imported clutch puller. I've never tried a cheapy but if you search here you will read about the horror stories, and see that most people recommend using OEM Yamaha. I use an Erlandson Performance (EPI) puller that I picked up 20 years ago and it is an excellent quality tool so I would recommend them as well as OEM if they have the same quality today, and I can say I've never had a bad experience with EPI products.
Another method to remove the clutch is to tip the sled on its side and with the clutch bolt removed fill the cavity with water (or grease but its messy) almost to the top leaving quite a few threads showing, and get a bolt with the same thread as the clutch hub (same thread as the puller would have). Seal the threads with teflon tape or other sealer, and tighten 'er up good until the clutch pops, or if it won't come off leave it overnight and should be laying in your belly pan in the morning. I haven't tried this since I can't find the bolt at our hardware stores, but I haven't checked the big industrial or fastener houses yet.

Thank you very much for the info and links 700 very useful info there. I'm gonna get her in the garage hopefully tomorrow and start tearing her down. Does the lower plastic have to come off to get the clutch off. Hopefully that's not a redicoulsly stupid question but I've never touched a sled other than to ride or change plugs. Again thanks a lot for the info all. Love these forums I don't know what I'd do without them on a lot of things thank you technology lol

Lower plastic can stay, there should be an access hole with a plug that can be removed in order to use a clutch puller or socket/ratchet.

when you get that assessed, if your interested, i have a bunch of used components for that sled.

like if you have one bad roller or weight or misc, i have assortments that could possibly help you out for less money. cant make complete sets of three each, just randoms.

quirky, but i was digging out some clutch stuff today and ran across a ziplock labeled 97sx600. leftovers from an old sled.

water trick works well, grease sucks and makes for a big mess. i always use a puller with the water, gives you the best of both worlds. no luck with just a bolt on the stubborn ones. tip the sled on its side to fill it up and keep adding pressure. i have shown this trick to countless people in the shop and am always amused by the amazement.

Well I finally got into it and the rollers were definitely shot. Now Wi gotta get parts and put it back together thanks for the info guys.

Back