vibrating viper

sledneck134

I have an 02 viper that runs great. It has bender pipes, and about 200 studs on the stock track. I get this annoying vibration in my feet and up through the bars when I am accelerating and the track gets unloaded (like off a bump or jump). Any clues? It doesn't seem to be motor related.

my 02 viper does the same thing i dont think its motor related I had the motor out and inspected the whole sled over and dident find anything. I dont think its the chaincase either because i went through that too. If u find out what it is please let me know. :beer:

i put 4000 on my viper and never had the track ratchet once. Like sledneck134's viper mine only does it when I accelerate hard.

Same thing here, 02 Viper 600 miles, not a vibration coming from the suspension or track ratcheting, more like a very rapid vibration from the engine. Especially around 8000 rpm on acceleration. It even makes my hands tingle 5 minutes after a long ride. I just hope it doesn't come from the primary or crankshaft...

I have a 2002 viper also. last year i had a wicked vibration problem.
before the season started i did a few repairs/changes and this seems to be where it all started. i dropped 1 tooth on the top gear. i installed a heel clicker clutch, changed the trackto a i.25 lug. installed anti ratchet drivers and studded the track with 96 down the middle and plastic backers.
since i changed everything at the same time i had no idea which thing was the problem. the vibration was so bad that i could only ride 10-15 min at a time and my hands would get so numb i could not hold the bars.
i brought the sled home after two weekends of riding and went through it.
i found that the plastic backers were too soft and i did not pull the studs deep enough into the track. (the nuts were just wearing into the plastic)
because the studs were not sucked into the track deep enough the backs of the studs tore my bogie wheels apart, fortunately i have an ad bovin rear suspension and they use std ski doo wheels so this wasn't a big problem locating parts and they were cheap.
i changed all the backers to aluminum and replaced the bogie wheels and it has been vibration free since.
I suggest you go back and think about any mods you might have done and start there. also check to see that any/all studs are sucked up tight into the track. check those bogie wheels whike you are under there.
Good luck hope this helps.

I do have all plastic backers on my studs, and there are alot of them. Maybe Steve is on to something. Maybe when the track becomes unloaded the studs hitting the drivers (there are four sprockets so its hard to miss) is whats causing the vibration. I would think if it were a bearing or the crank, it would keep getting worse. That doesn't seem to be happening. And its much more pronounced when the track begins to lose contact with the snow. Same with you guys?

Mine Did Not Do This Until I Put 192 Studs With Plastic Backers. Mine Is Not Real Noticable Though.maybe I Have My Studs A Little Tighter. Im Sure It Is The Plastic Backers Or Studs.

Sounds like the plastic backers are the common denominator. I'm thinking about taking some studs out and replacing the ones left with aluminum backers. I also was thinking of switching to the anti-ratcheting drivers so the backs of the studs don't hit them as the track spins, but Stevie D above said he did that.

I have the same issue with my 2002 Viper as well. I have a Camoplast 9830 1" track with 144 studs on aluminum backers. I am somewhat convinced it is the track hitting the heat exchanger protectors since I can see rubber marks on the protectors all the time. That would explain the vibration near my feet. It vibrates at around 50 mph and up. I have also noticed it vibrates when accelerating hard. I think the old Yokohama track had shorter track lugs that aligned with the protectors allowing a little more clearance.

its not track racheting, it seems to be the lugs hitting the front heat exhanger protectors because of the centrifugal force under hard acceleration. Our viper ONLY vibrates under accelerationg, not just cruising, and it is definately NOT racheting. The problem does seem to be much more noticeable with studs, we have aluminum backers.

yamaholic22, it could be the lugs are rubbing on the stops on the front heat exchanger, it only does it on lose snow when u accelerate hard never on ice. we will have to check it out again weekend if u ever get that water pump problem solved on your sled lol. :beer:

Have someone who's qualified --Check to see if the crank is within specs. My nephew's 02 had a bad vibration while accelerating, like a bad belt (I think it was between 1,000-2,000 miles). It was a bent crank shaft, not bent bad but not w/in tolerance.

Back