1/5/14 snow storm.

This storm rolling through is massive we have received 19" of snow today and still saying another 4-6" tonight then the extreme cold for the next 2 days. we are under a snow emergency. we couldn't leave even if we had to 4 wheel drive wouldn't even get down our road. I had trouble on the sled earlier it's all powder and you can't get on top of it.

I laugh to myself everytime I hear there's a snow EMERGENCY somewhere. I had a 2' drift all the way across my yard on saturday morning. I got stuck in it with my truck. Got stuck plowing 5 times with my quad over 6 hrs. Then went on with my life. :) I'm not saying that it didn't bring your whole area to complete gridlock, which I'm sure it did. It's just every time I hear, oh no, some big city with lots of people got snow, the world is coming to an end. The U.P., northern Wisconsin, Minnesota, Dakotas, etc. gets whacked with 2-3' and you hear a 5 second blurb on the national news about it. Not 3 days of broadcasting on the weather channel about Winter Storm Fluffy or some other f'd up name that dropped 8" on Chicago before and after the event is over. Get a long track and go rip that stuff up!

Yah, but at least in McMillan they know how to plow snow. Down here in Howell they treat a 14" snowfall just like they do a few inches. They start plowing the road in the middle with their little 5 foot blades. Then when they get about 12 feet cleared they can no longer push the snow so they take a break. While they are eating lunch or whatever, the snow bank they have created hardens up about halfway between the edge and the middle of the road. You almost need a county truck to move that stuff once it hardens into a 3 foot curb!!! I used to get out early before they started so I didn't have to mess with it, but my truck has been down the last 2 years. I am relegated to my MF-65 with a heavy 8 foot back blade. Enough blade, just not enough tractor weight to keep it straight. And did I mention the sore neck from looking behind you. Sometimes I wish I had a road grader

These major snow events really do cause extreme havoc in urban areas, especially ones that don't get them every year. Way too any people that have forgotten how to drive in heavy snow (or have never learned). I get so tired of dodging them to get anywhere.

Last edited:
ok...ok. Here's a pic of me stuck in my yard, doesn't really do it justice as I had backed up and you can't see what I was pushing with the bumper. Happy? I'd love to see some photos of the carnage downstate too. This all came in about 8 hrs Friday night. Yard was clear Friday morning. Supposed to get another 10" tonight thru tomorrow evening from lake effect.

yard.jpg

Here is a pic of my road on my way to work. I'm not saying that its the end of the world down here but I live 25min from Indiana and the cities are just not setup for a snow fall like this. I know the U.P gets hammered all the time I've been there when its snowed that much in one day. either way its a lot of snow for us.

I get it. You were an unintended target in my rant, and I apologize. I wasn't trying to make it a "my snow is more than your snow" conversation. I also don't envy the lack of resources you folks have down there and all of the other idiots that have to be dealt with during what I would consider a normal snow event. I just take for granted that if there's a foot or more of snow, I'll still be able to drive to work, if I can get out of my own 200' of driveway. Looks like you got some good snow to ride tho eh? Hopefully it sticks around for you. I talked to a close buddy of mine that lives off M-59 NE of Brighton. He said about the same thing, 18" of fun stuff.

On another note, it apparently takes 62" of snow in an event to delcare an emergency in the U.P. Soo Saint Marie, 1995. Just remembered that. I'll stop now. :)

We have the equipment. But did not get the snow in mass just super cold -40C wind chill. But St Johns, NB got over 100cm in one go and that's only one downing. Now that's snow. LOL

I would kill for that kind of snow right now.... every storm so far in northern nh has been no more then 4" followed by a day of rain... cant catch a break....

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

Its going to be skid row if we do get rain on Thursday or Friday after that deep freeze. Everything is so cold it just going to freeze on the surface and/or sink into what porous snow there is and freeze hard.

We have an excellent cold base and an ice pack snow along with ice from that freezing rain storm a week ago. But we need a bas of compressed snow as well to fill in depressions and cover what not covered. Compress a foot of snow and you don't have much at all a sled can tear that away in no time and hit the bottom especially if its light powder. then there are drift to deal with. We still need snow to be packed and cover the trails with some depth to ride on. all this fresh fluffy stuff give you is lubrication for your track.

Well I just came back from a short ride and there is more than enough snow out there. Anywhere from 5-8ft drifts one after another. And it's already pretty hard, I wasn't sinking too bad. Groomers sure do have a LOT of work ahead of them!

Seen a groomer last night and got excited. Only found a few miles of groomed and the rest are unridable short of a mountain sled. My buddy dunked his Nytro into a 6' deep hole. If it wasnt for 4 other people, we'd still be there. lol
Huge drifts as Cooper said and some of the trail markers are under snow. Banks are all 5' and up around here.
Hopefully the groomers were out all night. Be nice get some seat time on my new to me sled.

Holy crap Mike...WTF??? Major rant !! For someone that gets so pounded with so much snow all the time, howd you get stuck in such a little amount?!?! You'd think someone with as much deep snow driving experience(since you must get this kinda snow 365 days a year) , you would be able to blow through 12' drifts and navigate roads with 5' of snow on the flat?? hahaha

Sorry, but never understood why people show such little respect for others? Even though you apologized, you kept jabbing....I dont get it?

They even closed down penetanguishene and midland cuz there is too much snow! The drifts are massive! I went out by myself last night and got the srx stuck in a 5ft drift. Took me over an hour to get it out myself...back is SOOO sore today!

Back