intermittent headlight

Alweld1652

I picked up a 98 mm 700. After some carb cleaning and finding a air box I thought I had it ready to go but found a few more issues. I pulled it of the trailer the other night and noticed the head light and tail light were both lit but very dim along with the tac. I checked a few connections with nothing making a difference. I shut it of with the key and as you turned it to the off position all of the lights would light up bright. I ended trying it a few times and was able to get the key to stay in that position and everything worked right. I picked up another ignition thinking there was corrosion causing it but after I installed the other ignition I still have the same issue. Electrical is definitely my weak point when wrenching.

I'm also having a issue with spark on the PTO side. I have spark but it is weak. I tried a different coil and spark looks the same as the other cylinders but every time I pull the plug it is wet with no color.

Thanks for any advice. I've read a lot on here over the years past when I still rode a lot.

It has a bog down low at times that I haven't been able to figure out. I was figure it was associated with it firing on two cylinders. I haven't rode it much because I was waiting to get a air box since it had uni pods on it. Picked up a air box coil and ignition last week but with the temps we have had and no garage up north I've been holding off on working on it. Is there a way to test the stator?

I was thinking stator too based on some stuff I've recently read. Get your battery voltage when it's not running. Should be around 12.5-12.8. Then start it up. With the stuff running, measure the battery voltage again. I'm told that if your stator is weak, your voltage will be down on the battery, as the sled will be pulling using the battery to compensate for the low power from the stator.

I ordered a service manual last night and should be here in a few day. Hopefully I can get this sled running right. It's hard going from new sleds to wrenching on a old sled. I should of kept my attack.

After some reading on here it sounds like it is a common problem with the wiring harness under the motor getting rubbed threw. I ended up picking up a 03 viper yesterday and said something about my mm700 only running on 2 cylinders even though I have compression spark and fuel. He said he had a similar problem with a 700 a few years ago and after 1800$ they found out it was the wiring harness under the motor causing his problems. I will leave that as my project for the summer and ride the viper the rest of the year.

Back