'97 700SX motor grenades @4,800mi. ..crankshaft

dblshock

Well that's the word from the shop..now decision time..he thinks about $1,300 to repair..he's looking into used parts to get that price down..I got a cap of a grand.

far as I know the rest is oem, how does a guy blow the crank? what went wrong? IDK.

Part it out? what does this stuff go for on e.bay?

just rebuilt ski's with new Yama red skins and Bergstrom triples/ ski savers

guess cylinders and pistons are good

clutches

skid/track

chaincase

hood

front suspension parts/ trailing arms

seat

I'd say fix it. You can find good used cranks fairly cheap, otherwise find another motor for it. I've seen good running motors on craigslist and on ebay anywhere from $400-$600.

Hard to believe crank just up and crapped out. Seems to me it would have had to be a lack of oil issue on the direct oiling of the bearings. My buddy rode his 01 SxR most of the winter a couple seasons ago with it only turning like 7500, sled had ben dropping a few hundred RPM every year. When he tore it down the outter crank bearings (both ends) were "bad" (as in out of spec but in tact) Keep in mind he NEVER babied this sled. Gutted air box, head gasket mod, PSI triple pipes W/ triple stingers. He put newer outter bearings on it and back to correct RPM and FLOGGED the wee out of it for 2 more years and sold it. For the $1300 your in the neighbor hood of buying another rideable red head sled (at least around here)and have yours for parts.

I see a '98 crank..does that fit a '97?

'98 crank #8CH-11400-10-00 (this is the number seller listed?)

'98 crank #8CH-11400-12-00 (this is the 98 part# on flisch)

'97 crank #8CH-11400-01-00 (this is the 97 part # on flisch)

Are these all the same?

Hard to believe crank just up and crapped out. Seems to me it would have had to be a lack of oil issue on the direct oiling of the bearings. My buddy rode his 01 SxR most of the winter a couple seasons ago with it only turning like 7500, sled had ben dropping a few hundred RPM every year. When he tore it down the outter crank bearings (both ends) were "bad" (as in out of spec but in tact) Keep in mind he NEVER babied this sled. Gutted air box, head gasket mod, PSI triple pipes W/ triple stingers. He put newer outter bearings on it and back to correct RPM and FLOGGED the wee out of it for 2 more years and sold it. For the $1300 your in the neighbor hood of buying another rideable red head sled (at least around here)and have yours for parts.

It was running perfect..I had been on winding trail for an hour doing 20mph when I lost throttle and it stopped...waited a minute, pulled it, popped for 2-3 seconds and locked tite...27miles into trip had used 3-4oz. or so out of the full oil res.

guess cylinders and pistons are good

Is motor torn down yet? If not I would wait and get a better idea of what parts are needed. There was recently a complete running red head 700 listed for $650 that ended up not selling and being parted out. By the time you by a crank here, a cylinder there etc you might be able to find a complete motor for a similar price and sell what left of your engine. This would also be cheaper at the mechanic as well. Easier to intall a complete engine then it is to assemble one then install it. I would be sourcing as much as you can here (wanted add or check parts for sale) At least here you have buyer/seller feedback and the site behind you if a sale goes bad.

I thought '97 was the first year of the triple? did they know they were bad and changed them?

97 was the first year of the triple, they updated the cranks with roller bearings on the ends in 98, 97's had the ball bearings, the roller bearings seem to hold up better I guess.

he said he just took the head off..it's locked..I owe .5 hrs. labor.

He said to find a whole lower end or entire motor would save a ton of labor.

Put up a wanted ad on here, I'm sure someone has a 700 red head motor for sale. Keep your old motor for parts or sell whats good on it.

A piston seized from a lean burn down (other thread supports you were lean) would lock engine up. His conclusion you need a replacement crank based on he took the head of is a stretch in my opinion. Just pulling the head there is no way of knowing what is going on in the bottom of engine.

97 is all to its own as it has a differnt crank bearing on the end,they are pinned differntly in the case, so youd need a 97 crank to go back in your case.

However ....you can use a 98-2002 redhead 600/700 crank and cases and it will all bolt right back in and your topend and all will bolt right on.

However ....you can use a 98-2002 redhead 600/700 crank and cases and it will all bolt right back in and your topend and all will bolt right on.[/QUOTE]

That helps..Thanks

'A piston seized from a lean burn down (other thread supports you were lean) would lock engine up. His conclusion you need a replacement crank based on he took the head of is a stretch in my opinion. Just pulling the head there is no way of knowing what is going on in the bottom of engine.'

How should I mention this to him now that he's made a conclusion?

***I didn't hear any klunk just lost throttle and died but a minute later I pulled it and the engine fired back up for a couple seconds after that initial failure.

***day before I ran a 40mi. loop and as I finished and parked the sled I noticed a growl at a slow speed only as the track began to creep..fwiw.

***had this happened 35mi. sooner I'd still be walking out of the Crystal Falls, MI. State Forest ..I had broke trail through week old snow for the last 15mi. then across a flowage to the cabin..nothing but wolves, cougar and prey back there..no weapon allowed in MI. ..Whew, my wilderness solo days are over after this surprise.

Back