97 Vmax XTC 600

normp

Bought this sled used this fall with 3000 miles on it. top end is good, smooth, lots of power. Starts easily and idles smooth. BUT! Uses a litre of oil for less than a tank of gas, is hard on gas, sounds rough with some minor missing below 30 MPH, emits a blue smoke puff on acceleration from low speed with some hesitation before it starts to accelerate. Not a lot of fouling on the plugs. runs smooth and lots of instant power above 30. Question is it a failed oil pump? Or, carb low speed jets? If oil, where is the adjustment gauge and is there a site with specific instructions of how to find and adjust it? Never owned a Yamaha before and there are no dealers within 60 miles to ask these questions of. HELP!!!

I would guess that it never received the oil pump update. The oil injector tip would wear out and dump 2 to 3 times as much oil as it really needs.

Tom is right, I can bet on it. Sounds just like my 97 600 twin. Mine was so bad it would foul plugs and use nearly a tank of oil to a tank of gas.

The new pump is not cheap, and don't think Yamaha will cover their mistake. They didn't on my sled. Its the only oil pump I've ever had to replace on a sled. This IMHO should have been a recall, not an update, but that's standard MO for yamaha. And really my only beef with Yamaha.

After the updated oil pump was put in, is much better on oil.

Last edited:

Back