Who is right? 97 SX bellypan

norwegian

Me and my friend can't agree on whether a 97 sx 600 has a separate plate (aluminum) as the bellypan. I mean that the belly is integrated (the thing which you cover with a skid plate) with the front frame because I couldn't find any separate plate that would serve as a bellypan. He says it is a separate bellypan and it is riveted to the rest of the front frame. Who is right?

your buddy is. You can unrivet the front of the bulkhead from the belly pan. Maxdlx

Why can't I find the bellypan as a separate part on ronnies.com (same as hslm)??

skidoo boy, I tried that thing and I found the piece with the vents on it... I mean the aluminum thing just under and in front of the front heat exchanger.. try again :)

There are obviously some misunderstandings going on here.. You know why you invest in a belly pan protector? to cover that exposed piece of aluminum between the radius rods and the front heat exchanger. Is this a separate part?

One more hint. If you hit a rock with your sled and damage the front heat exchanger, you hit this plate right before the rock bends the heat exchanger... The rock makes dents or scratches on this plate (or part of the frame, don't know what it is called) before hitting the rear heat exchanger. Ring any bells?

Your buddy is still right... I have not looked at the fishe, but I know the belly pan plastic rivet to the chassis aluminum and the belly pans do not meet at the center of the sled.

I'm not talking about the plastic parts but the aluminum thing in the middle, which I believe is an integrated part of the front frame....

sounds like he's talking about the lower flat aluminum where the motor sits, ie: front frame bulkhead section. like where you jack the bottom of the sled up to lift it. if you need this on a 97 it's totaled. too labor intensive. ski

Last edited:
front frame complete 8CR-21940-09-00, $926.36
the back of that rivets to the front of the tunnel and the front heat exchanger rivets to the back of that part as well. that is what is refered to as the complete bulkhead assy. ski

you can get them on ebay with out the front shock mounting piece in ther for about 100 bucks. But it is labor intensive to change. Buddy has his patched works just fine. Maxdlx

So to sum it up, the front frame does NOT have a bottom plate you can get lose by drilling out the rivets? If not, then I'm right

That bottom piece continues up each side of the tunnel. You probably cannot buy that piece seperately but one could be made fairly easily minus the flared edges to where the primary clutch goes through etc............SRXtreme

have 98 with same problem

The"belly pan" where a skid plate goes looks to be a seperate pice from the "Bulkhead" It is dented in. If you look on the yamaha web site under parts it shows a full bulkhead and no sperate pice(bellpan). So can a guy just get the belly pan and re-rivet or is this a entire bulk head replacement. Yammi dealer says it whole bulk head. AT 900 dollars!!!!!!!! :o|
If any of you have a a bulk head in good shape rivet holes are not worn bad or drilled out badly I would be interested in it. e-mail me at mnharleyman@msn.com :rocks:

Back