Looking to buy sled

busman

Hi, I have been out of the game for many years and looking to buy a used sled. I would plan to ride on weekends on trail networks in northern Ontario Canada. The group I will ride with have late model sleds viper 700s and 1000cc vectors. The sled I have been looking at is couple of 2000 /2001 VMax 700s listed locally. the mileage is between 5000 and 7000 kilometers ( 3000 - 4000 miles) are there any issues that I should look for . Is this a good fit for my plan and would reliability be an issue. Seem to be a lot of 600s advertised but my thought is that It would be pushing sled hard to keep up with group.
Thanks
Gerald

Welcome.
You came to the right place for all things Yamaha.

If you do the VMax, go with the 2001 700. Dual headlight, and separate hand and thumb warmers. If it's a DLX it will be virtually the same as an SX with different shocks, paint and mirrors. Red head 700s are the real sweethearts of the Yamaha 2-stroke line. Very little maintenance, decent on gas, and very reliable. Couldn't be much more pleased with mine. Great corner to corner sled. A bit down on power compared to your buddies, and deep snow performance isn't great, but a great, flat cornering, all around trail sled.
It's what I'd recommend to all my friends.

Thank you for the information just waiting for a reply from seller. It is a little overwhelming with all the different models and options.

Like you busman I have been out of the game for years. I did however keep all my gear and my 2 place enclosed trailer. Well i jumped back in the game in the past week and bought a 2001 Vmax 500 Deluxe and a 2002 Vmax 700ER. Both were in awesome shape, well maintained, and very cheap. Had to put new batteries in both. Rode 500 last weeked and it goes great. Will try 700 tomorrow. The guy with the 500 said it gets about 10-11 mpg. I was told the 700 should get 13-14 on the groomed trails riding between 40-60mph. The 500 has 3K on it and the 700 has 4K. I was nervous about the 700 with 4K and he told me he had a 99 Venture with the same engine that he sold with over 10K miles on it and it was still going strong on orginal engine.

The redhead engine is very reliable. You should be fine for many more miles if properly maintained. In the summer months you can have (or do it yourself) the top end gone through for peace of mind. There is no way to be sure of the condition short of measuring and inspecting the pistons, rings, and cylinders. Good time to check the crank seals and bearings too. However, those motors get 9K easy and can go a lot farther with proper care.

Bought a 02 sxviper for my son, and it runs like a watch, like all my other yamahas did. Good power,gas mileage,reliable. I like to mride it myself, and although it does not ride like the new sleds, its pretty good. Happy trails.

Back