mountail max 600 blubbering after letting off throttle

midunn87

I recently put extended throttle and brake lines on my 2001 MM 600, and nothing else to the sled and now when you let off the throttle it starts to blubber until it gets to 2000 RPM's or less, then you can take off again no problem just as long as you don't let off the throttle. It also seems to do it when you push the sled to 60 MPH or more, but it does not do it all the time. Is the throttle or oil cable still out of adjustment? Or is there something else that might be causing this. Any help is much appreciated I need it ready to go by Feb 14th, headed to the big horns :). I also have a Holtzman ATACC system on my sled as well. The extended cables I used are RSI model TC-5.

The adjusters on the aftermarket cables suck. Nobody who makes them runs a Yamaha and knows that there is no witness mark on the pump to look at. The fact that the RSI instructions even say that it does not pull apart and that you turn the barrel to adjust your marks just proves they put no thought into it. They all come from china and I swear they are the same product in different packaging.

I started out with poweradd cables and drove myself nutty trying to figure out a measurement for adjusting the oil cable. I got it close and rode for maybe 30 miles only to decide my bars were WAY too tall and found a upper limit on my adjustable risers where I could put my stock oil cable back on. I have a rsi t-post fly tall adjustable risers and fly mini bend aero taper bars. I dropped the risers from mid length to 3/4" from bottomed and like it so much better. Having better bars and being able to move yourself forward has been so much more beneficial for technical riding than height was.

how is the slack in the cables?

There is plenty slack to go from the 4 inch riser I have now to an 8 inch riser if I would like. When I first routed the cables I must have had to many bends in it cause my idle was really all over when I would turn the handle bars. After pulling it out and making it as straight as possible and that fixed that issue but it still idled high. I did change the idle screw to slow it down.

I even looked through my book for Yamaha repairs and it shows a pic with a witness mark but it does not match what mine looks like so I just took the old cable laid it next to the new one and adjusted it to have the same amount of cable slack from nut to the cable end but I do plan on putting adjustable risers on it so I can trail ride In wi and when I take it out west I can raise it up to ride off trail. But if it does not start running right in the next week I am putting the old cable back on and leaving the 4 in riser on it

You put an 8" riser on stock mm bars? That's nuts! Is it a flat riser or a pivot riser? I had a 2" riser and hated it, it just pushed me too far back off the sled. The sweep and setback of mm bars is still intended for sitting most of the time. My new bars are at the same height or less than stock, but a much better setup for stand up riding.

You put an 8" riser on stock mm bars? That's nuts! Is it a flat riser or a pivot riser? I had a 2" riser and hated it, it just pushed me too far back off the sled. The sweep and setback of mm bars is still intended for sitting most of the time. My new bars are at the same height or less than stock, but a much better setup for stand up riding.

I have 4 inch riser on it currently with the stock bars, the riser is homemade so its angled and fits me decent although last year when I was out I ended up cracking one of the welds and stretching the cables to the point of cracking, which is why I put new ones on but they still work if I need to go back to them. I am actually amazed the riser lasted this long since I made it in high school about 10 years and about 4000 miles ago. I do plan on building a pivot block and getting adjustable risers from 4-8 inch. I am 6'2" so that should be more than enough riser I would think.

Back