2000 Yamaha SXR700 backfire popping issues????

Nick Phair

Hello,

Im new to the sport of snowmobiling and to this site. I picked up a 2000 Yamaha SXR 700 this past saturday. I put 200 miles on it over the weekend it ran awesome. Got it out tonight after work and was running good and then all of a sudden went to give it throttle and it bogged right down and started making a backfire popping sound. Was shooting flames out the exhaust.

I changed plugs and its still doing it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Nick

try bypassing the tors. it can cause issues like you describe. if that works you need to fix it or install and use a teather cord system.

Hello,

Did not clean carbs after I got it.

Went to unhook the T.O.R.S and well it already was. When its running if you pull plug wire off #2 or #3 cylinder it will kill the engine, but when you pull the wire off #1 cylinder it keeps on running. So im thinking #1 cylinder has a problem! And just by putting my finger you can tell that cylinder #1 has barely any compression.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are going to need to pull the head and look at it. Make shure you clean the carbs while you have it apart.

Did a compression check, #2 and #3 read 120 and cylinder #1 reads 0! Just ordered top end rebuild kit. Just my luck!

Back