Thermostat........... yes or no?

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
One of the things I suspected about my 01 SRX engine was that it probably didn't have a t stat in it and I was right,after all this was a former drag sled.So I'm looking for opinions on what you guys think about running a thermostat or not,and the sled has been converted back to a trail sled.I know that the coolant system was designed to work with a thermostat and if it would help keep the temperature of the coolant in the engine more consistent then I'd be inclined to put one back in,especially after this engine experienced a 4 point cold seizure 2 weeks ago.

I would run a stat if it is used on the trail. Too hard to keep the heat up in the motor.

i would run one, based on the fact that it was designed to run one. the biggest role thermostats play is during warm up. but then again the red head engines don't have one and run fine :s

One of the things I suspected about my 01 SRX engine was that it probably didn't have a t stat in it and I was right,after all this was a former drag sled.So I'm looking for opinions on what you guys think about running a thermostat or not,and the sled has been converted back to a trail sled.I know that the coolant system was designed to work with a thermostat and if it would help keep the temperature of the coolant in the engine more consistent then I'd be inclined to put one back in,especially after this engine experienced a 4 point cold seizure 2 weeks ago.

This would explain your siezure (that and the timing key putting heat into the piston).

Aside from faster warm ups, the stat also acts as a flow restrictor allowing the coolant to pick up more heat before exiting the engine. For a trail sled - I'd use one.

Thermostat with the plunger & spring removed or a washer sized right will restrict/slow the coolant flow just as an open thermostat. As mentioned allow for plenty of warm up time...

Yammiegod is right!

A thermostat will help control a cold rush of coolant, this can score your pistons...ie if you are on trail and the sled is running hot due to hard pack snow...then find some powder snow to lube the hyfax and cool the engine.

For racing it helps a little increasing the flow for short runs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back