Clutch help

Sledneck

Website
www.lisnoseekers.org
I have a 2001 sxr 700
The clutch has been worked on by 2 dealers with no results

What happens is when i come to a stop the belt starts to squeel then i am reving 6-7 thousand to go 20 mph and now its maoking noises after redlining it it finally kicks in and goes but not to full speed i let go of the throttle for a second then it takes off like a rocket like nothing is wrong
I had the helix and spring changed twice now with the same result Any suggestions? I can fix just about anytjong but i am a retart when it comes to clutching

I would start by checking your clutch offset and centre to centre distance, ...belt?

I would change both springs, make sure everything is moving freely, and make sure all bushings and other wear parts are in good shape. (weights, rollers, prim. bushings, sec. bushings, helix ramp buttons, etc) As stated above, make sure all clutch parts are clean. As far as your engagement, you might want to make sure you dont have a weight sticking or a bad flat spot on any of the rollers.

Hey don't shoot me for asking the obvious cause I have seen this happen. Check your belt and make sure it is the right size and not worn. Something else that can happen is: if your spring pressure on the secondary is to weak it will open up as soon as you hit the gas, then when the Primary catches up it will take off. Check your secondary spring and setting. Are you running a roller secondary? Are both clutches stock (Yamaha)?

Take a peek at this...

I would say from your first description that the moveable sheave bushing is junk, this allows the moveable sheave to not fully return to neutral. This means when you hit the gas, the clutch is already in lets say 2nd gear instead of 1st, this will slip the belt, make lots of heat, squeel the belt because its effectively making the belt distance shorter at rest and make erratic engagments. Easy way to check is simply remove the cover and spring, and see if it has slop wiggling the sheave from left to right while trying to slide it in and out, I am sure it will hang up there. If you find this to be true, I would also replace the cover bushing as well, as the sheave will cause undo stress/wear on the cover bushing.

Back