need a little clutch help

fly wieghts 00 8ch
Rivets 13.9 outer and 17.2 inner.
Rollers I don't know
Primary spring no markings

Secondary spring green dot set at 60

belt 89L

Turning 8500 in powder and 8700 on groomed trail. Clutch engages 3600-3700 rpms
So what do I need to do to get the rpms down to that 8300 mark. heiver fly wieght?? Smaller roller?? Just run it and not worry about it??

Last edited:

your pretty close to the shift out rpm of 8500, thats where you wanna be .. your good !

Well put on 120 miles today it was a good day. Sled was turning 8500 to 8700 at first. Then at wot it was turning 8800-8900 rpms.

I bought a second 97 sx700 for the kid or girlfriend to ride and it did basically the same thing 8500 to start then it was 9000 after everything was warmed up.

I am guessing I should get heaver fly weights. Where should I start?? Looks like 8ch are 35.32 grams.

Option 1 8cr 38.09 or 8df 37.84 weights with the same rivets??

option 2 17.2 rivet in the outer hole??

what do engagement shims do?? Do they just change the clutch engagement. Take off rpms.

Last edited:
ya, I would try the heavier rivet first as it is the cheapest route, add shims to up the rpm, take away to lower

How does the rivets affect rpms?? They say 1 gram of fly weight is like 200 rpms. Are the rivets kinda the same way? 13.9 is 3.6 grams and a 17.2 is 4.5 if steel. That is only .9 of a gram more. Or do rivets affect the rpms differently. From what I can figure the inner hole controls the lower rpms and the outer higher wot rpms.

The heavier the weight of flyweights the more the engine rpms go down ( your puttin more load on the motor). You may need a new spring if your r's wont come down

The heavier the weight of flyweights the more the engine rpms go down ( your puttin more load on the motor). You may need a new spring if your r's wont come down

I understand this.

I am trying to figure out how many rmps=how many grams. I think it 200 rpms for 1 gram of fly weight (all 3 weights)

Now how many rpms for every gram on rivets?? 1 gram = how many rpms. would that be per rivet or all 3?

also what weights are the same profile as the 8ch??

I believe there are too many varibles to say so many grams = so many rpms. Its not an exact science, You need to test, test, and test for your particular application,all we can do is steer you in the right direction , the rest is up to you!

Back