Here's one for ya's...................... 98 SRX w/broken axle

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
I bought an Apex skid a couple of years ago with an MMP 8" big wheel kit on it but it only has the large wheels on the outside,the inners are the stockers.Since I put this skid in I've put in the neighborhood of 800,maybe 1000,miles on it and yesterday the drive axle broke pretty much right out of the blue.I can't remember hitting anything out of the ordinary,rock,stump or frozen ice,I was running up the trail and the track just started ratcheting.

What I was wondering was would the uneven tension on the track caused by the smaller wheels in the centre and the larger ones on the outside put undue stress on the axle causing it to get weak and break?It broke flush with one of the inner drive cogs leaving 2 cogs on each piece of axle.I can't say as I've ever seen a Yamaha drive axle break before,not around here at least.

U must have the same size wheels when u use a stock axel. I have 8 inch outers and 7 inners but I use a offset axel from mmp. The axel is aluminum and can't take the outside pressure of 8 s .

I broke 2 of them same spot right in half I think they were weak that year...duno I do jump a lot.I buy from a wrecker bud so? i went to a 2000 axle and put 9 non slip drivers that slide up against the stock drivers and the outer drives with lock collers so the hole shaft has a even support.Probably over kill but it works.

Last edited:
How close are your rail tips to the drivers, any chance they hit at some point along the skid travel especially in the bumps where the skid is moving a lot (but hopefully not too far forward!)?

Back