Thread repair............... reed cage mounts

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
I thought I'd throw this one out there and see what guys have done to fix stripped threads in vital areas.What I have is an 01 SRX and normally a stripped hole is easily fix by tapping it out to a larger thread or possibly going to a similar size in a standard thread rather than the metric one originally.The reed cage mounting holes are one area that I've noticed seem to be ones that strip out the most often,seems people just don't know the proper torque for fasteners.The first time I had the engine apart was after I bought the sled,I had to re mount the oil pump and do a few other things so I could run the sled on trails where it used to be a drag sled before.When I put the reeds back in I had 4 of the bolt holes strip out so rather than mess around I just retapped the holes to 1/4 inch and was done with it.But I was thinking about fixing the holes properly so I can get back to all 12 bolts being the same size,it's kind of a nuisance to have to switch back and forth sockets when doing any work on the engine.

What technique have you guys found that will successfully repair threads like the reed cage mounts and hold up? Ideally taking the crank case to a welder and have the holes filled in a retapped to the metric thread is what I'd like to do but what about stuff like JB cold weld or similar products?Will epoxy's like that hold up to the stress?

I thought I'd throw this one out there and see what guys have done to fix stripped threads in vital areas.What I have is an 01 SRX and normally a stripped hole is easily fix by tapping it out to a larger thread or possibly going to a similar size in a standard thread rather than the metric one originally.The reed cage mounting holes are one area that I've noticed seem to be ones that strip out the most often,seems people just don't know the proper torque for fasteners.The first time I had the engine apart was after I bought the sled,I had to re mount the oil pump and do a few other things so I could run the sled on trails where it used to be a drag sled before.When I put the reeds back in I had 4 of the bolt holes strip out so rather than mess around I just retapped the holes to 1/4 inch and was done with it.But I was thinking about fixing the holes properly so I can get back to all 12 bolts being the same size,it's kind of a nuisance to have to switch back and forth sockets when doing any work on the engine.

What technique have you guys found that will successfully repair threads like the reed cage mounts and hold up? Ideally taking the crank case to a welder and have the holes filled in a retapped to the metric thread is what I'd like to do but what about stuff like JB cold weld or similar products?Will epoxy's like that hold up to the stress?
Similar to what Devinzz1 says Heli-coil. You actually use the stripped hole and re tap to the size for the heli-coil to screw in and install what is called a "thread sert"(threaded coil) and you are back in good shape as the threads have been repaired and are somewhat better than new as the heli-coil is made out of stainless steel.

permatex makes a hardening thread repair compound as well but Ive never used and I have my doubts. I get small heli-coil kits off of ebay for around $20 each. Their handy little things to have around when youve got a couple bikes and sleds around. Fixed a stripped oil drain plug on my wr with one last year. There are many different threaded inserts but all do the same thing.

Yeah I thought about using a heli coil kit but where there's such a variety of products out there for thread repair now I wondered if any of the epoxy ones were any good.

I would go with a Heli-Coil for a number of reasons including (but not limited to) allowing for repeated removal and re-install, stronger than original, ability to use stock or stock-like fasteners, etc.

Epoxies are okay if this is the last time the part will be removed, ever !!!

Back