No tuning fork, but at least its blue.

Backwoods M Max

Well, I had given up on finding a 00-01 Phazer mountain light here in new england to leave at my mother in laws farm to mess around in the meadows with so I found this and while it's not a Yamaha it's probably better in the long run.

1999 Indy 700 SKS (snow kind special) 12,600 miles on it, new track at 9600 miles and the motor has around 2000 miles on a complete rebuild including the updated crank bearings. The motor pulled 135mag 125pto compression. I got all the paperwork from the PO, it's had a new track, clutches rebuilt and the motor done along with the seat being recovered since he's owned it. He also put SLP SLT skis on it and said it makes it a much better cruiser. The track is a 1.5" ripsaw 136. I got a polaris shop manual, cover, parts unlimited belt in the sleeve and saddle bags. It has a powermadd tool box on the clutch cover and there are probably 5 seasons worth of spare plugs in there along with a nice roll up pouch with real wrenches in there. It has a couple little issues to work out. The tube for the pull start rope broke at the mount so it needs to come apart for some welding, and the U pipe between the muffler and can was replaced with a weld repair one that still leaked bad. I goop'd it all up with copper rtv and it's setting up for a few days before I try it.

Hoping I can get it up north and get some miles on it before the season ends. This one really has some great trail potential with a ripsaw instead of a paddle track, and the 700 will cart me around a lot better than a 500 fan on the phazer would.

SKS 1.JPGSKS 2.JPG

Last edited:

good sleds, but watch your hyfax. the aftermarket track should eliminate most of the problems associated with the stock set up, especially with all the windows punched. seems like alot of effort on the throttle, be sure your right thumb is in shape. feels like twice the pull of your mtn max. pull rope is another issue. seems like it was almost a two hander.

night and day difference if you 144 it. did several and all were amazed. i was doing a simple skid relocate with some new rear drops, may still have the template. fine tune the clutching and they are rockets, but you want to be sure you have a well balanced primary to keep the crank bearings alive. seriously, spend some money on that if your unsure.

we were swapping helixes. R-8 comes to mind but dont hold me to that. recently got rid of all my poo helixes for the most part, may have a few left. of course my clutch notes were for elevation and may not apply. at one time i had a yamaha secondary adapted to fit the poo shaft, may still have it. if you have a selection of yamaha helixes, this could be right up your alley for fine tuning. most likely a few remaining p-85 tuning parts if needed.

mechanical reverse was a good option for those, but a little more on the learning curve for the install. polaris did some interesting things above the chaincase.

Back