2000 sxr 700 suspension help

yankeeslover

question on my suspension. sled has roughly 3100 miles on it. It is my second sled so my buddy always uses it when we ride... Saturday we were riding in the moose river plains in ny and both hit a large bump that we didn't see... My rush took it ok but he says the sxr really slammed down... we stopped and looked things over and couldn't see anything odd, but I do notice that the suspension does not sit up as high as it used to. if you lift the rear end the sled slowly goes back down on its own. what would be your first guess on what I should look at? im not a handy person but if its something that's an easy fix or replacement I will attempt myself... does this sound like spring? shock? if so, are they an easy replacement.... we will work on It this summer...he says its riding ok right now, but it just doesn't seem like much lift in the back, it is sitting closer to ground then I remember it doing a couple years ago..what should I look at? what does this sound like? I don't ride the sled myself anymore as I have my 2012 Rush now, so its hard for me to really ride it and compare... thanks for the help....

Might have a broken spring or arm, or the FRA moved to the soft setting. I would pull the skid when you can and let it thaw completely out. Then you can check it over carefully. Sorry about your baseball affliction, LOL

Thanks Ding.. I didn't see any cracks in the A-Arm... is a broken spring or A-Arm obvious to see? and how hard is it to replace a shock? does the skid need to come out? I don't have the first idea how to remove a skid....

You can replace some of it with it still in, but it can be a real pain. I prefer to take the skid out so I can check it out much better. If you click on TY Tech at the top of most pages, there are write-ups on pulling a ProAction skid. The A-arm you are referring to is what most call a "W" arm (the whole thing looks like a W). Look at all of the the weld areas and the shock mounts closely. Again this is difficult in the sled, but much easier with the skid out. If you take the shocks off, you can turn them and a broken spring will be easy to spot. However, they do weaken over time. I would check the FRA settings too. There are 3 notches for the bolt to move to. The notch closest to the ground is the stiffest. Post some pics if you want and maybe we can see something.

Back