how to shim yamaha secondary 1997 sx 700

updogcharmer

can I get a little help...belt chirps a bit sometimes on take off and seems like it could be slipping a little under hard load (deep stuff)
thanks

you probably need new shim bolts , they are in the back of the sec..if they have a washer under the heads ...remove and try it .. but being as old as it is ..you need new ones!

I agree with Yammy. My bolts did nothing even with no shims installed on my 96. Pull the secondary off and there are three small bolts that adjust the Sheaves by using shims. The v belt should stick a certain amount above the secondary. Not sure how much on yours but on vmax4 it is 5mm. Also make sure there is no oil or grease on the Sheaves.

installed new bolts today. squeal is gone but the belt seems a lil low in the secondary. dont have any metric washers so im gonna try some .032".

the 97 is the exception to the belt height rule, unless you run the 8dn it should be level, or a tad below the sec.! if you try to shim the belt above the sec. it will squeal!

Last edited:
What is different on the 97? I'm running a tad below and also an 8dn and was about to shim up lol. Sounds like I will leave it alone.

If your running the 8dn on the 97 it should sit level or just above, Its just that the clutching isn't designed for the 8dn.

Back