another clutching issue

Kidder

i have a problem somewhere in my clutching. it only shows up when i ride in deeper snow. especially when transitioning from hard pack to deep snow/fluff, the sled will rev way up as if the secondary shifted down, then when you try to give it gas it will stay reved up for awhile then it bogs way down, as if the secondary shifted way way up and then its normal for awhile. once the sled is in all powder, it seems fine when you crackit open, but when you let off and go to hit it again it dose the same thing. its kind of hard to explain but its like drivin along in your stick shift pickup and shift ing from 3rd to 1st instead of 4th, and then it jumps from 1st to 5th,,, sort of annoying. ive been battleing this for about 2 years now, so far to try and correct the problem ive replaced the bushings in the secondary, throuly cleaned both clutches, tryed different belts, cheacked and rechecked clutch alignment and all that good stuff. when i first started having the problem the clutching was stock. currently i have 89l weights in the primary no rivits, and a wsw primary spring. i have a rocket roller 2 er in the secondary with a 50/40 helix. currently i am running the preload at 90 degrees because it seemed to help the problem a little bit the higher i went with the preload. btw the sled is a 1997 vmax sx 700 w/ bender pipes and reed spacers. like i said the sled rips on the hard pack but sometimes i like to play in the fluff. the only thing i can think of is the fact that the secondary spring is original and maybe it needs to be replaced. thanks in advance for any help

I have had a similar problem although I ride in the mountains. I have a couple suggestions that you can run by some of the other sled heads. Make sure you are running a decent weight and spring in your primary. I am not familiar with the 89l but that could be part of your problem. First I would try a new spring in your secondary and consider putting your stock helix back in. If your at 90 you shouldn't have a problem backshifting, that tells me the angle on your helix is likely to steep or your spring is shot. Just remember to only make one change at a time.

so far the clutching is done from mostly turks suggestions. i am going to replace the secondary spring because it is the only thing left that i havent touched.

Back