Zero Compression and no spark??

Exciter570

Hi all, was out for a ride today on my Vmax 600 and the sled made a soft muffled pop sound followed immediately by a brief feeling as if the engine were going to stall..the engine did not stall and I continued on my way home. After this little "blip" the sled felt as if it had a bit less power but was running ok, I was still able to cruise down the trail at 30-50 no problem..as I continued on my way, it did seem to feel as if it were running out of gas even though I had a couple gallons left..as I was just getting back into town I could tell there was something wrong, the sled wasn't running well and then stalled completely. I was able to restart the sled but upon restarting, it sounded really bad, was backfiring continuously and had very little power.

I nursed it home and let it cool down a bit, put new plugs in and then checked for spark: Clutch side plug was not sparking, throttle side plug was sparking.

Next I checked compression: Clutch side read 125psi, throttle side reads 0!!

Now, I've blown a cylinder before and even the blown cylinder registered at least some compression..what could cause a cylinder to have 0 compression?

Last edited:

^^^ definitely sounds like detonation caused a hole in the piston. What did the plug look like?

Plug looked a little lean, but not too bad and a little heavy on the oil. Looked down the plug hole, could not see any visible signs of detonation or a hole in the dome...will have to open it up and see what happened..

Or just try looking down in the cylinder. either way it looks like the engines coming apart

Back