Need a good setup for my 2001 Srx

b2001srx

I ride mostly open fields and some lakes around my area. Would like to get alittle more top end without loosing to much acceleration. Ride with some big triples and wanna give them a nice surprise ;)

If anyone is around the Grand Rapids area and willing to set it up for me would be even better and Willing to pay for the help

Last edited:

Do some searching on here and you will find what you are looking for. I just got all the stuff I need for Mr Vipers SRX clutch setup...If I remember right it is 8dn-20 weights loaded with 4.5 gram tip weights, www spring, dalton 54/46 helix with a green spring at 60.

Last edited:
As far as I know it's the stock setup for it. Primary has black spring with a yellow paint spot. I have a pic of the secondary here. I have never delt with the clutching of a sled so I'm kinda hesitant to do it myself.

image.jpg

The first question is then, can you follow directions?

if,yes, then its not that hard to do but youll need a few items to work on it, a clutch puller, and the rest is just basic metric hand tools.

I can help you thru the process. You pretty much will have to get the EXACT items I tell you to and install them. Then youll need to ride the sled and watch what the tach tells you to make sure we have it fine tuned in. its pretty much plug and play with this set up but the rear clutch twist needs to be fine tuned to your weight,riding style.

now having said all that what kind of riding do you do 90% of the time?

you set up your sled for what you do 90% and just deal with the 10% win or lose as if you set it up for the 10% youll hate the sled.

Yes I can follow directions. Majority of my riding is in open fields, every now and then I make a few lake runs. For the most part I'm pretty mechanically inclined, just have never dealt with clutching before.

youll only need 3 of the 4.5 rivets as you already have 3 installed, change out the smaller one to the 4.5, the www spring is yamahs spring as is the green spring for the secondary.

You need a DALTON helix.

if you need the yamaha part numbers ask, i can list them if need be.

Mrviper could you please list the part numbers of what I need? That would be much easier and greatly appreciated.

Mr Viper 700, I have been watching and learning for a few years before just becoming a member of TY.You along with YammieGod and Turk have more knowledge about tuning than I can find anywhere. You guys need to be shown the respect due for all the time,parts and even money invested to put these numbers down on paper,and of course have them work well.I have just purchased a 2002 SRX 700 in mint condition(approx. 4000 miles), and have decided to wake it up with some clutching. Awhile back Mr Viper posted a set up that sounded right to me. 8dn-20(stock) with 4.5g in both holes y sil y spring.Secondary green with 51/43 wrapped at 60-80 degrees.gears are 22/38. This is said to be a ripper set up. That is what I want. Good trail and good lake.Since the snow has turned to water up here, I can't try it until next Nov- Dec. What I wanted to know was, what would i have in your opinion if i used a www in the primary and stayed at 80 degrees in the secondary. I also have a box with 50/40 and 54/44,and 53/45 Dalton helixesI am about 200lbs before gear.Also while i have you,since i haven't played with the rivets on my weights yet,do you grind/drill/and punch them out and install new ones just like that. The stock weights show 17.2 and 13.9 now which must be mm. Could i drill out 13.9 rivet that is not the tip but the second(middle) hole and leave the tip alone to get 4.5 and 4.5?Should it really haul with the 22T gear or was it better to leave the 23T in for overall rippin'.I'm about 50/50 trail and lake and really want a set up that will work well in both, but want the ability to punish those in a straight line that do not believe in the BLUE.

Last edited:
I have had good luck with heelclicker clutching. I do mostly the same riding as OP, but on rivers, and on trails. I really have to watch the speedometer carefully, as it will go to 160 kph (100 mph speedometer) pretty fast on trails, if it opens some up.
On the river it goes pretty fast up to 190 kph (118 mph), then slower up to top end which is about 200 kph (124-125 mph). Motor is stock and the gearing is 22/38.

Back