Blew engine and will need at least one cylinder rebuilt

tripplec

Well I see my right hand cylinder is shot. No compression what so ever. Did not seize up but the sled was running on one cylinder.

Being in Canada where to get reasonable priced parts of quality. Clearly I don't want junk after all the work is done.

- rings
- piston likely
- gaskets (recommendations or ones to stay away from)
- head may require sleeving but I may have a source nearby. If so the above may require to be different size. Not sure as this is new to me.

I don't think I am going to need anything else. I will pull the offending cylinder in the summer and see what the extent of the damage is then.

I would go with all genuine yamaha parts. You can get them from your local dealer or you can try yamaha parts nation. I have not ever ordered from them but you can look into it. If you want to go with after market parts you can get them from royal distributing. Not sure what you mean by needing the head sleeved.

Not sure if this is a nikasil jug or not, if it's not you can have it bored or honed over sized. But if it is nikasil then it has to be replated. I don't know any one that does that but maybe some other guys on the forum do.
It might be cheaper to find a new used jug, considering getting a jug bored over will cost at least $50. At this time I also would do at least the rings on the good side just to freshen it up. Is this a 600 twin?

Yes its a 600 twin Venture as per my sig. Smart Carbs are on this beast which have so many connections compared to others I have seen.

I can swap the OEM clutch but if that 600 twin Vmax engine is different in other ways that don't allow a straight forward integration for $350 then I'd better stick to just doing a repair.

Back