Is Cat still the dark side? My new ride

09.......had they gotten away from diamond drive yet? My buddy (a CAT guy) swears up and down to stay away from the diamond drive. I have read they are a lot harder to fine tune the clutching and a little pricey doing a fluid change.....

Looks good. I ride with a guy that has a crossfire 700 long track. I've rode it and its a very nice machine. It also has the diamond drive and he hasn't had any issues with it.

This one has the Diamond Drive, which I think is neat. It eliminates the jackshaft and has a lot fewer parts than even a standard Viper case. Good oil online is $18 +s/h but the cost of oil is insignificant compared to my overall snowmobiling costs (I figure I've already spent $500 this season on gas). 1250 miles and maybe an 11 mpg average... even my Apex when I had it was only getting 13mpg.

The previous owner claimed this one gets 13-15mpg.

I love the way they feel when riding but if i ever owned one my first upgrade would be belt drive or a billet chaincase (very bad experiences with diamond drive)

I always like the f7 in orange in principle, but the build quality and quality of fasteners etc is just too low for me. they do ride and handle nice, just hate it when I pop the hood to do any tinkering. nice looking sled though, and good luck!

It's a nice looking sled, but I'm with 03viper above me. Too many cheap components by cat really hasn't done them any good in the quality dept over the years.

Horkn, and I want to like them. Just scared I guess. I hate issues :/

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I don't mind small issues, I'm always tinkering with my stuff. I've already upgraded a notorious bearing in the diamond drive and now I'm installing a new fuel tank (free cat replacement).

This is my backup sled remember :sled2:

Change all the fuel line clamps to real clamps as opposed to the plastic ones

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I have no idea but someone once said it's because some of the gears spin too fast (something like 40,000 RPM). The DD is just a planetary gear set, it doesn't look too complicated to me.

I took it out last weekend and I have to say I still like my Viper better :sled1:

Back