Out of my 3 Yamaha sleds why is my SRX 7 the slowest?

BlueSRX7

I owne a RX-1 Warrior, V-MAX 7 and a SRX 700. The SRX has a reeds ( I think - bought it used) and a clutch kit, the other 2 are stock.
They are all almost identical is speed until about 90-95 mph, then the RX-1 pulls away. Why isnt SRX faster than the other sleds, atleast to 100? Everyone says I should be beating the RX-1 and deystroying the V-MAX 7 (V-MAX deluxe i should add).
I do clean the power valves regularly!
Where else would i be losing power? Do clutch's come out of wack and need readjusting? Should I clean the carbs? What else can I do?
Thanks.

what year srx? you should be beating the v-max for sure, i would clean your carbs, clean and adjust your powervalves, go through your clutches and set them up, clean them, and replace worn bushings. You also will need to get some better traction than stock with the amount of power the srx puts out.

You should be able to find a good clutch kit on the site if you do some searching, or there may be something listed on the tech page.

what year??? there is a LOT of money left on the table with clutching with the srx..a littl emore info and mabe we can Help????? :yam:

My SRX is a 2000. The sled was modified by Bruce at maximum performance. The only mods that were completed were new reeds, exhaust silencer, long travel suspension and an S##t load of studs (#?). Other than that the sled is totally stock.
I have never cleaned the carbs, I know nothing about them or how to adjust them so I figure just leave those alone. Do you have to remove them to clean them? Is this something I should try on my own?
Since the clutch was installed (3yrs ago) they have never been adjusted. Do these need readjusting often? Again, how difficult is all this to do & should I even attempt?

Please let know if there is any other info that may help! Thanks.

my guess is either the clutching is off, (what rpms) or your reeds may not be good.
to check the reeds you have to pull the carbs, at that point you might as well clean them

I asume you are putting the valves in properly? have they been adjuted?

My power valves are clean and have been adjusted properly – first thing that I checked.
I do not know anything about clutches or carbs so I have never played w/ them. When/if I clean the carbs myself, how hard/complicated is it? H
Will I be able to see if the reeds are shot? Easy to replace?
How do adjust or check my clutches? Do I need special tools?
Please any info would be greatly Appreciated.
Don’t get me wrong the sled is not slow! I just think it is just not what a SRX should be. My SRX is nose to nose with the RX-1 Warrior until about 100, then the RX-1 walks away – which is fine. But off the start I am told I should smoking the Warrior.
The most frustrating part is my V-MAX 700 deluxe is staying right there w/ me.
Thanks.

Reeds are easy to replace, just take the cages out after the carbs are off and unscrew the bolts that bolt the pedals to the cages. I did not have good luck with aftermarket reeds and went back to stock...might be worth looking into.

there is something wrong that SRX should have no problem pulling away from the VMax. Check and see where you are reving when you hammer and look for max RPM.

is it running decent? my guess would be the carbs are dirty and need cleaning, but could definately also be the clutches if they haven't been cleaned or gone through in three years. Could also be dirty powervalves. All relatively easy work

The Warrior is one fast machine. I just raced one that has K&N's and My SRX with a cold air kit and Bender clutch kit with a Kimpex 1 1/4" track. The Warrior has it from start to finish. The first 3-400 feet are close then the Warrior just walks away. I was shifting at 8100rpm and just went 10 deg. more on my secondary to 90 deg. now I shift at 8400rpm and I will see if I can maybee give that Warrior a run. At least it's a Yamaha beating me and I can smoke modded Firecraps no problem

My question is, what is the set up on the VMax7 ? If this thing is holding its own agiainst an SRX and a Warrior, I want to set mine up the same!!

clutching

I have already cleaned and adjusted the power valves so i guess I am on to adjusting the clutch. What tools will I need to buy? Can anyone offer some insight on how to do this??

watersuper said:
My question is, what is the set up on the VMax7 ? If this thing is holding its own agiainst an SRX and a Warrior, I want to set mine up the same!!

The V-MAX is 100% stock! It has always been very strong running. I dont care how strong it runs, it should not be neck & neck. Just goes to show you the SRX isnt where it should be!

Back