97 700 sx overheating and getting air in cooling system

nov

guys my 97 700 SX is overheating and getting air in the system. I bled it out of the rear exchanger with the *** end up. I runs ok for about 15 min then the light comes on and all the coolant is back in the overflow tank. want to know if anyone had a guess weather this could be bad head gasket or warped heat. If it was the brass gear on the crank I am I correct in assuming tha tit would nto be getting air in the system. Also I ran it with the light on for quite a while so i would assume if the gear was slipping I would of had an issue with the oil pump.

Thanks

I would assume blown head gasket......running it for "quite a while" may have lead to warped head. FWIW brass gear slipping could have ben the original cause for head gasket issue. Cleared that right up didn't I? Head gasket is cheap enough to replace and see where your at, I wouldn't suspect brass gear issue but cant rule it out either.

remove the head and check to verify flat. A straight edge should be sufficiant for this. The common 3 cyl head can and does easily warp. If the head is warped it can be milled flat, although compresion ration will increase so use an OEM heaed gasket, a new one for the replacement. Al

Would this happen on my 500 twin? I just had the same problem of coolent in the overflow and heat exchangers were cold but was runing good for the first 20 miles. I was thinking a stuck thermostat or water pump failed
Sorry don't mean hijack just wondering

Yea I'd check the impeller/water pump then go in and pull the head and look

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Back