Is it ok to remove secondary sheave shim bolts?

ualav8

VIP Member
I'm trying to get my 8dn belt to the top of my secondary. Is it ok to remove the shim bolts and run it without them if that's what is takes to get the belt to the top?

Are you talking about the bolts on the back side of the secondary? Shims being the washers under them? If so then yes its fine. That's how my 2000 SxR 700 is as of right now. You should check alignment of clutches and center to center measurements as well.

Should be 268.5 mm, you can double check in the tech pages. I could be wrong but pretty sure your supposed to pull those washers as belt wears to let clutch close that much tighter. Keep them as you should put them back in if you put a new belt on.

Just wanted to clarify, you need to put the bolts back in....don't think you can or should run with out the bolts. I took the washers out and put bolts back in.

Just wanted to clarify, you need to put the bolts back in....don't think you can or should run with out the bolts. I took the washers out and put bolts back in.
If you install the bolts without the washers, the belt will sit lower in the clutches. If ualav8 is trying to get the belt up in the clutches, he needs to either add another shim or , Im pretty sure he can run it without the bolts all together. Either way will allow the Secondary sheaves to come closer together, which let it ride higher in the secondary.
Also, remember to check the belt height with the belt off the primary clutch and just setting between the secondary sheaves.

If you remove the bolts to try and get higher in the secondary, it will effect tension of the belt. Belt height and belt deflection go hand in hand. Before adjusting the secondary, it is important to confirm clutch alignment is spec.

The end result can be that you have so much belt drag that there is excessive squeal or an engine that doesn't want to idle from the belt drag.

Checking clutch alignment and C to C is definitely a good idea, but if he's just looking to adjust due to a worn belt, adding shims is the proper way to do so.

Back