Brown chaincase oil!!!

YAMMYJAM79

Ok guys, so earlier i was asking about a noise my sled was making after i changed my track. So i the other day i checked my chaincase oil only to find it bone dry but i remember filling it after the track swap . So i checked the drain plug and sure enough it was gone! I forgot to put it in i guess, i drove the sled a few times like this not good i know, so i replaced the drain plug and filled with oil. Took for a rip sound is still there, and the new chaincase oil is brown and sludgy! Is it possible i blew the bearing in the chaincase? If so could this be the source of my rumbling sound?

Brown sludgy chaincase oil

Brown chaincase oil!!!
Ok guys, so earlier i was asking about a noise my sled was making after i changed my track. So i the other day i checked my chaincase oil only to find it bone dry but i remember filling it after the track swap . So i checked the drain plug and sure enough it was gone! I forgot to put it in i guess, i drove the sled a few times like this not good i know, so i replaced the drain plug and filled with oil. Took for a rip sound is still there, and the new chaincase oil is brown and sludgy! Is it possible i blew the bearing in the chaincase? If so could this be the source of my rumbling sound?

i think something is getting real hot in their and alot of debris is getting into oil. Better off taking it off and checking before serious damage occurs.

At the very least i would tear the case down. Not a big job, just some time. Take pics and print off a breakdown of the case from a parts place. Take some pics and report back with what you find.

I forgot to put it in i guess, i drove the sled a few times

If you remember filling it up and didn't notice it running out on the ground it would depend on A. How far you rode it each time. B. How far you rode it after plug fell out and drained fluid. Maybe parts ruined from lack of lube or you have a too tight chain issue or something wasn't put back together right. Was the noise there as soon as you started riding it? (before drain plug fell out) If it was there then you have another issue on top of what ever lack of lube caused.

It drives fine, so im sure it all went back together properly! And that sound was there as soon as i changed the track and it wasnt before! Could just be a noisy track. Gonna change all the bearings this spring and replace whatever else needs to be done. Another thing, has anyone here installed drop brackets on there sled? And if so is ot worth it or does it just make it too hard to steer?

Unless you are building a mountain sled, don't bother with drop brackets, they will increase your ski pressure, and make it harder to handle, unless you raise the front end as well. As for the chaincase, drain the yucky oil and take off the cover and inspect it, if you don't find anything broken, refill it with fresh oil. It's a simple job to take the cover off and clean it out with brake cleaner.

Like I said before, depends on how far you rode it. "a couple times" could add up to less than a mile or hundreds of miles. Is your dipstick magnetic like most are? Does it have metal chunks stuck to it?

Back