mod questions for my 97 vmax sx700

r3ap3r911

hey guys, i just got a 1997 vmax sx700 with the red head motor.. this thing is wicked so far! let me start off saying this is my first sled - and im 28 years old.. I know quite a bit about doing mods to cars but know nothing about sleds.. so i picked this up as a trade for an old car i had and couldnt be happier with the trade..
the person i got it from said (a younger kid) said he had it for 2 years and didnt use it much.. he also thought it wasnt modified at all.. well I can clearly see vforce reeds in there.. .but not sure what else.. the thing goes pretty darn fast when i stomp on it- which is great! but heres the kicker... apparently it has 28,000+ KM on the motor with no rebuild! Not sure if this is true or not, because the speedo isnt working and not clocking any km's as i ride.. apparently it wasnt hooked back up when the track was replaced... anyway, i'm looking to make a fast and reliable sled non the less that will give my buddies a good run for their money... one buddy has a polaris pro x 440? and my other buddy has a new assault 800? anyway... please tell me what i can do to keep up!

Excellent!

Great info, thanks! I'm sing 94 octane gas so that should be good! Also are these considered "safe" mods to do? Or is it sort of the same idea as a car where you add power and decrease reliability? Also how much power would these mods add real world? Would all this get me close to my buddies sleds for speed?

The head gasket mod ups your compression so that one can be an issue if poor fuel is used, the rest are simple and should keep reliability. As far as keeping up with your buddies I dunno. You drag racing? Trail riding? Just do them mods if not happy look into more.

And nobodies tuning tips are more tried and true then Turk's! So the first link has every mod I posted and each additional shows the how.

if your gona do gasket mod its just as well to freshen up top end with some rings and/or pistons. reeds/spacers, silencer, and jetting will give the engine more pop. Not necessarily more hp but much better throttle response. My 97 with these plus minor clutching and gearing will take stock 800etecs and rx-1s off the line and up to about 600ft

Nice, nice... I'll be doing some drag racing and but mainly aggressive trail riding.. Forgot to mention the sled has Ohlin's shocks up front.. Not sure if the back shocks are stock but it sits pretty low..
Am I able to to the head gasket and freshen up the top end myself or should I get a mechanic to do it? Also can I just take a layer off or is it better to get a new thin gasket? I'll be doing these mods this summer while the sled is in my garage so I'll have plenty of time to research and do it all right, but i dont want to mess anything up.... Is it hard or pricey to re jet? Also looking at triple pipes if i can get my hands on a used set...

Last edited:
Only you can make the choice on who does the work. But if you know how to use torque wrench and left loosey I say with help from Ty you can do it. Triple pipes mean you don't mind tuning it and jetting For temp occasionally. I would suggest get the most out of what you have then decide. I bought a head gasket rather then split one have read lots of people have no prob splitting so that is up to you.
This was a quick search for mikuni jets http://www.pjmotorsports.com/mikuni-jets.html I'm sure a Ty sponsors can sell you the jets.

Ok i think ill do the work myself.. Ill look into some guides so i don't mess anything up... One other question, what should the screw be set at on top of the carbs? I adjusted it the other day because it was bogging out - Turns out the plugs were all nasty so i changed them out but i have a feeling when i adjusted that i messed it up because now the sled wants to move a bit standing still

So you think it's lean? Air screw would be in, a fuel screw would be out. I can't think of a screw that you can adjust while the carb is on the sled at least for the yamaha's I have worked on. Anyways I read that an air adjustment screw is on the airbox side of the carb, and a fuel adjustment screw is on the engine side(and this is the one I am familiar with).

Last edited:
Yep just back it out til idle is 1600 rpm or so. Blip the throttle couple times may have adjust more then once.

Ok cool will do.. How do i adjust the air/fuel if i keep fouling plugs? I think it may be running to rich.. I read to test that out to go WOT then hit the kill switch then pop the plugs and check the plugs if theyre oily, brown, or burnt.. that sound right?

There is an article somewhere on here. You have 3 circuits in the carb and it explains how to check all 3. Also check you oil pump adjustment.

Clean carbs good before making any adjustments. adjusting dirty carbs is gona be a waste of time. Clean them first and go from there. You could also be getting to much oil which could foul the plugs. These sleds sit real low stock so I would say nothings changed back there. If you look it should have 2 aluminum bodied kyb shocks up under there. What kind of riding do you plan on doing by the way?

What plugs you runnin . I always fouled plugs in mine until I changed to Br9eya's, after that never fouled a plug again!

I'll be aggressive trail riding mostly and the occasional drag race when i get together with buddies... Pretty sure im running BR9ES or BR9EC cant remember exactly.. trying to get some picts posted of my machine will post back soon so you guys can take a look and let me know whats stock/whats not and how my plugs look after riding an hour last night!

Back