mod questions for my 97 vmax sx700

heres some picts of my sled... let me know what looks stock and what looks aftermarket... cant tell if theres reed spacer in there?20140327_190925.jpg20140327_190938.jpg20140327_191057.jpg20140327_191109.jpg20140327_191152.jpg20140327_191929.jpg

Plug look plenty safe. I'd leave jetting alone for now. Mabey when your more comfortable with your carbs later on, then mess with them. On the secondary, the helix looks cleaner than the rest of the clutch. What kind of numbers are on it. Yamaha,Bender, 8BV??

Looks like your belt is shredding, you might want to remove the clutches and give them a complete inspection & service, as well as make sure they are aligned properly on the sled. Check your sheaves for cracks or other damage, and check you sliding bushing for wear, very common on the primary especially. Rollers & weights can wear as well, along with the 6 plastic sliders in the towers. Basically clean & check everything thoroughly especially if you think these have even 1/4 of the km's listed for the engine.

Yup. By the looks of the black marks on clutches youve got an issue that wants to be looked at. Those are indeed aftermarket reeds too

That head looks to be a discolored red. Appears to have gotten pretty hot. I'd take it off and look at the combustion chamber. Remove carbon and peel 1 layer off of the head gasket while your in there.

Plug look plenty safe. I'd leave jetting alone for now. Mabey when your more comfortable with your carbs later on, then mess with them. On the secondary, the helix looks cleaner than the rest of the clutch. What kind of numbers are on it. Yamaha,Bender, 8BV??

Good question.. Which is the secondary? - smaller one? and what is the helix?

Looks like your belt is shredding, you might want to remove the clutches and give them a complete inspection & service, as well as make sure they are aligned properly on the sled. Check your sheaves for cracks or other damage, and check you sliding bushing for wear, very common on the primary especially. Rollers & weights can wear as well, along with the 6 plastic sliders in the towers. Basically clean & check everything thoroughly especially if you think these have even 1/4 of the km's listed for the engine.

OK I will look into this... I know the belt was slipping before and I couldnt even take off one day after the sled was sitting a few days.. the belt was squealing and was slipping/burned up a bit..

If the speedo isn't working, your jackshaft speedo side bearing is probably shot. OE track?

Will look take it apart and remove carbon and check everything out inside... Not sure about the track if its OE or aftermarket - it was the 2nd last owner who replaced it and apparently "forgot" to replace the speed sensor?? to the track..

Back