exciter problems

gman95

Hey guys I have a 93 exciter 2 sx I just bought, previous owner rebuilt top end last year but he didn't ride it, I went through the sled to make sure it was running good. I ran four 5 gallon gas can premixed to 36:1. So I thought I could open her up past 7k rpm made its way up there just fine but when I pushed it to 8k, rpm dropped to zero..... I'm not sure yet but I think I fried the pistons. Haven't got her open yet cause she's still out on the trail.... I'm praying she's still there in the morning....... Any ideas on what I did? It starts but idles really low

if oil pump is still operating then you were putting too much oil through it and not enough gas I would say. Fried a piston or two from being lean.

Well I think I found my problem, my right carb has a crack in it on the out feed side, an the rubber boot between the carb an motor has a huge hole in it. Could it be possible I choked the right side out? Looked at piston an their is metal shavings smashed/melted to the piston,

yes you leaned that cylinder out. needs a boot and mayby a jug but you cannot tell untill you get it apart.

Yep the mag side melted the rings to the piston, but when I took the exhaust y pipe off the ports were coated in oil but not the mag side, i m guessing the oil all over my motor was meant for the jug. I honed the jug didn't take long, did minimum damage so that's nice,

What's a good premix to run? I was running 36:1 don't wanna trust the oil pump. Can I take the pump off or can I just plug it?

Back