2 inner wheels, pros & cons?

The pros are enhanced side hilling traction due to the fact that the track will flex a bit more. Also slighty less weight. Cons are less bearing life on the rear wheels and accelerated hyfax wear.

highly recommend for off trail mountain specific use. would NOT use if you are a trail rider.

i will agree to bearing wear to a small extent but would fully object to increased hyfax wear. i have this setup on three of my mtn sleds and have yet to see any negative, but i run 90%+ off trail. again, use specific.

your gains were covered: slight weight decrease with increased sidehilling along with counter-steering. both are even more enhanced if the sway bar is removed or disabled.

All posts are right on. As far as hyfax wear, I guess it depends how much you are side hilling and what conditions you ride in. Like snow dad said, this is not a trailable set up. My buddy pulled his outer wheels and sway bar last year on his Mountain Max. He does a lot of riding in the up, but does as much or more flat land trail riding. Anyway, he discovered quickly that turning an cornering is a challenge with that set up. He basically rolled the sled at 10mph in his front yard.

I ran a 2-wheel kit in my last sled for 2 years, until the motor blew, this year. I was a little nervous about it when I first put it in, since I pretty much have no outside wheels on the skid (only the upper idlers & the outside drive wheels on the axle). The sled was set up as a crossover sled, a 144" x 1.25" track and I installed scratchers, so that when the snow was real hard, I could put them down. I ride hard, harder than most. I am usually able to keep up with guys riding much newer sleds. But I can say I never really noticed the difference. I also noticed very little hyfax wear.

If your a trail rider stick with outside wheels, if ya ride powder all day go to 2. Why do you think all the guys on the 4 stroke side are putting outside wheels on their new vipers. Need them in the trails for corners!!!

The skid will shed snow better when riding in deep snow too. Tippy ness is more of a factor of overall sled setup. If your ski pressure is light the sway bay has less of an effect on the initial stability of the sled, it has to start to roll in the corner before the sway bar will start to stabilize things.

I noticed more of a difference when I pulled the sway bar after I had the 2 wheel kit installed than I just did with the 2 wheel kit. Remember we DO NOT have flex edge tracks so there is no natural give at the edge. Cat has been building oem skids for trail sleds with no outer wheels for years and I don't see people complain the sleds are "tippy"

Back