What Happened? Please Yamaha - bring back the great sled you used to build!!

xsivhp

First - I know this is an old topic and I want to say I am a huge fan of Yamaha but I need to vent! Here we are 10+ years since Yamaha decided to go 4S. Does Yamaha have a huge technology advantage? Are they where they should be?

My answer to both questions is no. It's too bad as I would love to buy a Yamaha that was competitive with Polaris and Ski Doo products in weight and handling. I don't think reliability is so much an issue unless you just want to ride to put miles on and plan on keeping a sled for 20k miles. Being a married man a new sled every now and then is something I like to indulge in. My sleds since I started riding are:

1978 Yamaha 250 Enticer
1985 Arctic Cat 440 Jag*
1985 Arctic cat 440 Panterra
1988 Arctic Cat 440 El Tigre^
1995 Arctic Cat ZR580 EFI
2000 Ski Doo Formula Deluxe 700*
2004 Yamaha SX Viper S
2004 Yamaha SX Viper S (yes 2 of them 8500 miles between the two)
2009 Yanaha Nytro XTX
2010 Ski Doo Renegade 600 ETEC*
2012 Polaris Switchback 600 - 4700 miles no issues - one set of plugs

^ minor engine issue - self repaired under $500
* engine issue - Major issue over $1k

I buy sleds to have fun. I'm not so concerned about fuel mileage - anything over 12 is good for me!

Overall I have been the happiest with my Vipers and the Switchback. Decent ride, excellent durability, excellent reliability, reasonable weight, reasonable fuel economy. I have ridden Yamaha 4 strokes - all were too heavy IMO. Of course I have only ridden a '05 RS Vector, '09 Nytro XTX and a '07 Attak. I like the Vipers better! And when I say I have ridden them I mean more than 100 miles not just a quick shot down the trail.

If I had to spend $5k or less on a used sled it would be a Viper. The 4 strokes really don't do it for me. I know people that spent $10-$14k on a new YamaCat are not going to agree with me - but I am super disappointed with Yamaha's effort for the last 8 years. Please Yamaha - build a modern Viper so I can buy a new Yamaha!

I agree. I sold my MMax last weekend. Many miles and smiles. But it is time for something new. Hate to say it, but a Summit is in my future. We all know Yamaha could make a new chassis, and a new 2S motor. Hopefully by the time the warranty is up on the mustard bucket, they'll have something that will compete, and then I shall return home.

agreed on the fuel mileage thing, its nice when stations are few and far between, but hell i always end up burning more gas than my buddies(we all ride yamaha sx and sxrs) but its because im playing around and not just driving to save. yamaha needs to bring back a 2 stroke machine plain and simple.

agreed on the fuel mileage thing, its nice when stations are few and far between, but hell i always end up burning more gas than my buddies(we all ride yamaha sx and sxrs) but its because im playing around and not just driving to save. yamaha needs to bring back a 2 stroke machine plain and simple.

Yeah, and if it's an 800 triple, I'll be selling everything I have to get it. A guy can dream eh?

Time will tell, but it looks like the NEW Viper is the sled to have. Pounding the competition in every aspect. Yes a Cat chassie, but somehow the Yamaha version has no issues where Cats version has had a few. Hmm. Al

Here is the issue, if you are wanting a new machine, and a Yamaha, it will be a 4 stroke period. The New Viper is wiping the competion in nearly every event. I suspect next season the Viper will move up in class. Polaris is the only other reliable machine on the snow at this time. Anyway dream machine is a new Viper. Our antiquated 2 strokes will keep running strong, but in reality, how much longer can we expect these great sleds to provide thousands of miles of funn. I already have 2 SXR's with over 10k miles. Do I go for 15k miles?? I am sure they can do it with proper maintenance. Al

I've been following the 14 viper real close. Sure it has a few issues. It's a new sled. But I wouldn't say it has a load of issues or serious ones for that matter. You guys seem to forget the mighty 700 srx had to have the motors tore down and the crank redone it's first year out. It's still a legendary sled

Last edited:
I enjoyed your responses! I dont know if the new Viper is the answer. IMO - that is a compromise. Now if they would have put it in a Polaris chassis ... lol - Just Kidding. The guy in yellowknife canada is not a big fan of his SR Viper.

Yamaha was onto something running the 4S exhaust out the back - helped get some of the weight out of the front. I'd like to take a new vector 136 with power steering for a ride.

Oh well a guy can dream on seeing a Yammi 2S again, right? :) For now I may just drop back to a SX Viper or SXR - they are great sleds and a lot of fun to ride. I was riding a 02 Viper I borrowed from a friend a couple of weeks ago after I sold my '12 Switchback and I was amazed how it handled - trails were like glass - it wasn't shifting out right and still people had a tough time keeping up! :)

I hear what you guys are saying. Until last fall I was only on this forum and had no use for the TY 4 stroke side. But, I really wanted a new sled and I wanted a Yamaha, a blue one. I always thought the Nytros were ugly with their short little bug noses (I know just my opinion) and I thought I wanted a new Apex till a buddy let me ride his, and then I didn't.

Bottom line is I had done all I could to the old SXR, revalved shocks, custom seat, etc and the old back just couldn't take it any more. So, I did something completely out of character and bought a brand new first year model sled. Truth is when the trails are flat I would just as soon ride my SXR, which I still have and plan to keep. Problem is the trails are rarely flat.

It took me a few weekends to get used to the new riding style and I had to immediately get rid of the stock carbides, but with just a few suspension tweaks I was riding farther and with more comfort than ever before. With this sled I can stand effortlessly and the power from corner to corner is strong and linear. The hook up is great and it lifts the skis a few inches and goes with any sled out of the hole. Hopefully with a little clutching help I will see some better top end next year. I have seen 95+ several times this year.

I'm not like some guys that buy new sleds every year or two, so I will be keeping this sled and making it work for me regardless, but at this point I don't regret it. I rode over 1500 trouble free miles without any back pain and had a lot of fun doing it and I didn't have to put any oil in it either.

I get the whole, it's not really a Yamaha thing too, but I was ready for a new sled and this is what was available. If you look at it differently we get the awesome reliability of the Japanese drivetrain and the cool stying of an American designed chassis, even if the build quality is not quite what we're used to.

If I see you on the trail I will gladly let you ride my Viper, so you can make up your own mind.

Cheers!

Yamaha was onto something running the 4S exhaust out the back - helped get some of the weight out of the front.

Doesn't rear exhaust contribute to tunnel ice though? My old Apex would ice up significantly more than my SX Viper with the same monoskid. That wasn't cool.

I've been following the 14 viper real close. Sure it has a few issues. It's a new sled. But I wouldn't say it has a load of issues or serious ones for that matter. You guys seem to forget the mighty 700 srx had to have the motors tore down and the crank redone it's first year out. It's still a legendary sled

Your right the SRX was and is legendary despite some problems, something the new Viper will never be......

Doesn't rear exhaust contribute to tunnel ice though? My old Apex would ice up significantly more than my SX Viper with the same monoskid. That wasn't cool.

May not have been cool but it balanced the weight of the sled and got some off of the front of it.

Back