2011 Vk540 is dying when gas level reaches half full

dawns1956

I'm new to this site, so please be patient. My Vk540 runs fine until I get to about half full on the gas gauge. I fill it up and it's fine until it gets half empty again. It stalls out. I'm thinking maybe a dirty gas filter, but I don't know where it is. Any help would be appreciated.

Your fuel filter is in the tank. It's connected to a piece of fuel line, look down inside the tank, the fuel line and filter may be up over the top of the fuel gauge sending unit, the filter should be lying on the bottom of the tank.

I bet the submerged hose in the tank has cracked or broken off completely at the fitting on the bulkhead. Drain the tank and remove the fuel fitting from the tank. You will have to get more hose from yamaha because its a metric size and US hose won't fit. You cut the hose to length so it leaves the filter at the back of the tank when its all put back together. the fuel filter acts as a "clunk" it will move from side to side as the sled tips one way and the other, following the gas so you can get every last bit out.

Back