SRX is a dog after 30MPH?????

corvetteworks

I just removed a hauk big bore kit from my sled and puit it back to stock. It is a 98 with 2000 cylinders and heads. Case in point, my brothers ZL500 kicks the crap out of it. It feels like it it starving for air when it gets to the mid range. It is then flat from them on with very little power. The top speed is 70mph. Is it possible the power valve motor is not working? The sled has zero power band.

Start with the easy stuff first. Check your plugs, make sure they are all firing. Then check your power valves. Very easy to get to first 2 on PTO(clutch) side. Last 1 on mag side you have to remove the pipes (I found it easier to remove them then to try and work around them). Just take out the 4 allen head bolts(3mm or 4mm) securing each of the valve assemblies to front of cylinder. Make sure the valves are clean and moving freely in and out of the cylinder port and make sure the cable ends did not pull out of the ends of any of the p-valves. You will know very quickly if you have a p-valve problem upon inspection. I had a similar problem at the end of last season and found a cable end broken off one and 2 other were pull throughs. Oh yeah, when puttin p-valve back in, bevel side goes down. Good luck. If all of that is ok, repost and go from there. Keep the rubber side down! -Steve O.C.

The whole top of this motor is brand new. This was the first ride since reassembly. All valve parts are freshly assembled and undamaged. Is it possible the power valve motor is not working? What would the symptoms be?

Last edited:
i am no pro , but i would check the power valves , make sure there wound right and not shutting when they should open .. if you get the rpms below 1000 rpms the servo motor will turn over , so you can check the servo that way to see if it working or not ...

Vette,
My Powervalves all need to be replaced after figuring out all the cables had pulled out due to the powervalves being stuck. My sled would be fine though up to 70mph (7,200 RPMs) or so and the top end wouldnt kick in because the power valves weren't being opened. My sled has 4,200 miles on it thus I believe it might have been time to replace them anyway or at least that makes me feel better to think that way.

you will most likely need stock carbs back on there. unless you want to play around with jetting from now on. will not work the same as stock. also what rpm are you getting out of it. sounds like power valves may also be the problem.

Also, how do you access the needle jet on these carbs? I'm used to my arctic cat carbs with the simple screw on tops. This sled is really rich. I have 145, 145, 147 on the main jets. If anything, it should be lean with those jets considering that the carbs are bored, and it had reeds.

I don't have one of those harnesses for the servo motor. Also, it refers to adjusting the valves until they have the right gap. It does not say what the right gap is.

Did you re-clutch after reducing the displacement back to stock? If let as it was it would have a far too agressive upshift and cause problems.

im in the lansing area corvette , like i said before im no pro , but i can show ya how to adjust your power valves and how to get to the needles , if you want to meet up u can come up or i could drive down ....

swap your bored carbs to someone for the stockers,you dont need those carbs on a stock motor.probly have more throttle response with the stock carbs.-Harvey

Back