Frt Kyb shocks from 97 sx fit a 97 xt ?

mecka

I have a question,I purchased a set of frt Kyb shocks from a 97 sx thinking they would fit a 97 xt.The shocks from the sx have the same mounting top and bottom (eyelet)and the shocks I need for the xt have a u shaped mounting for the top shock.IN looking at the parts screen from yamaha the shocks from the sx have a bracket ,is that all I require to make them fit?
Has anyone run into this before?

You realize that the SX shocks are shorter, right? The XT is a long travel suspension, while the SX is a short travel suspension. I think the difference is about 1.5" of travel. Anyways, if you want to still use the SX shocks you'll need the brackets you mentioned. You might need to change the bushings in the bulkhead, but I'm not sure. The SX has a cheaper all metal bushing and the XT has a rubber/metal bushing. I know when long traveling a sled, you take out the cheaper metal bushing and replace it with the rubber/metal ones.

Yes I see that after the fact ,ouch.Should have done some more research in regards to this .Not sure that I want to use them now.

Does your XT have rebuildable shocks? If so you can have them sent out to a rebuilder. The rebuildable shocks are aluminum bodied, they would look similar to the SX shocks, just the different top mount & longer.

Back